set up for cichlids...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bartek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to this forum, but I just came across it and I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here.
I had a question about a tank set up. I'm in the process of upgrading, and have been doing some reading. I currently have two black convicts and one texas cichlids. My question is: should i do all fine sand bottom, along with some rocks, and caves, or should i do fine sand bottom along with gravel, or should i do all gravel bottom? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks, Bart.

I really like sand in my cichlid tanks. With cons and the texas, I would definitely have some rocks, driftwood, etc.-- as well as caves and other hidey holes. You want to have objects breaking up the aquarium into territories and you want to have places for the fish to retreat if they're being bullied.

Thanks Voodoo, so you're saying having all fine sand bottom would be fine, well ofcourse along with all the rocks and caves.

Yup ditto to voodoo. I have a cichlid tank with a crushed coral substrate and they much prefer it to normal gravel.

Hi

I am considering a new 30 (29) gallon tank in the very near future. I want to house cichlids also so I am glad to read this post. I have a 10 gal now and wish I had went with a big one to begin with.

Bart...what size is your tank??? :mrgreen:

For sand tanks I like to use a prefilter on the filter intake to keep sand from getting into the impeller (it will) and be prepared for some sand down your drain as when you vacuum a little will get sucked up. Get some MTS snails to keep the sand aerated and avoid anaerobic pockets, which are dangerous to the fish, or stir the sand up thoroughly every few months by hand. Other than those precautions, I love sand substrate and now even have it in one of my community tanks. I love the way it looks!

Right now i have a 15 gal tank, but just got a free 30 gal which i'm going to be setting up this weekend. saturday I'm going to build a stand for it, and hopefully set up the sandy bottom along with some rocks and caves. then hopefully monday i'll get my magnum 350 pro from bigalsonline.com. Then over the cycling time i'm going to build a nice canopy.

Hey TANKGIRL that prefilter on the filter intake you're talking about is that a homemade thing or can you actually purchase one of those.

Also could someone tell me which sand would be the best for my tank. Keep in mind i have a texas and black convict cichilids.

Another idea for gravel filtration would be under gravel heater, which is supposed to keep the gravel compact free?

The prefilter is a DIY thing, which I do by removing the basket-type cover on the intake hose and get an Aquaclear rectangular sponge, cutting an "X" into one short end with an X-acto knife, and shoving that end over your intake tube. It gets cruddy every day or two, but it is worth the extra attention. It also means your other filter media will last a bit longer. I like pool filter sand, as it is a little coarser than play sand, which is incredibly fine and will find its way into your impeller even with a prefilter. I got a 50-pound bag of pool filter sand at the pool/spa supply warehouse for $7 US.

Hey, Fishy, I think the undergravel heater would be a great idea. I have not used them but it is something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom