Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Setting up a 70 gal S.A. cichlid tank.

So it's been a few years since I've had an aquarium and I am more than excited to get back into the hobby. I came up on a free tank that I belive to be a 70gal.
I decided to build a basic stand for it. I only took a couple pics during the build but there is plenty of diy guides on YouTube and Google if you're interested. I also plan on building a canopy to hide the lights and filters. I'll try and get more pictures of that process.

So as far as lighting goes I'm not really sure what I need. Maybe you guys can help point me in the right direction. The tank won't be a "planted tank" but I might add some low light plants. I was looking for a cheaper option and found that homedepot has some cheap options for standard fluorescent and LEDs. I'm just not sure how many watts or the color temperature I need. Here are a couple links for lights I was looking into. Let me know what you think.

Lithonia Lighting 2-Light High Output Multi-Volt T5 Compact White Fluorescent Strip Light-ZR 2 54T5HO MVOLT GEB10PS - The Home Depot

Commercial Electric 4 ft. White LED Linkable Shop Light-54103161 - The Home Depot

For filtration I decided to go with HOB filters simply because I like the ease of maintenance. I just ordered a Seachem tidal 110. I will be getting a second but, I figured I'd try this one out and decide if I want another tidal or if I should look at an aqua clear or a maybe even a penguin.

Going to need some extra circulation so I was looking at some cheap circulation pumps on amazon. I was looking at picking up a 4 pack of Sunsun JVP 110s. They move 528gph each. Is that too many pumps? Should I go with 2 bigger pumps instead? I just really want to make sure there is no dead spots because there will be tons of rock structure.

One last thing for tonight. Has anyone ever had a Paratilapia Polleni? A LFS has a very nice one for $20 and I'd love to pick it up but I have a few weeks before the tank will be ready. Anyways I'd love to see pictures or heat what your thoughts are on that particular species.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170828_222840.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	303178Click image for larger version

Name:	20170827_124909.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	303179Click image for larger version

Name:	20170827_124919.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	303180Click image for larger version

Name:	seachem-tidal-110-800x800.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	303181

Old 09-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Interesting sounding fish, I had never heard of them, and congrats on the new tank!

You may have already seen this article
How to keep Paratilapia — Practical Fishkeeping Magazine

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

With regards to Paratilapia polleni I've had half of dozen or so over the years and they usually end up as single species tanks due to their aggressive temperament. I will say that I threw a hyper aggressive male into a tankful of mbuna and he wasn't as much of an issue as there were so many targets it was hard to focus on one specific fish. They are extremely aggressive generally so tankmates probably wont be much a option in a smaller tank.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ah, likely why that fish is available then.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A South American type cichlid from Madagascar , what next?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com