Setting up a 70gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SR20HAYES

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's been a few years since I had an aquarium. I came up on a free tank that I believe to be about 70gal(L48 × H25 × W13). I'm planning on stocking south american cichlids.

I decided to build a basic stand for the tank so I could display it in my living room. I didn't take many pictures of the process but, there is plenty of DIY YouTube videos and writeups on Google. I will also be building my own canopy and I will try to get much more pictures of that process.

I need a little help on choosing some lighting. This won't be a "planted aquarium" but I might put some plants. How many watts do I need and what color temperature would be suitable? I was looking at some cheaper options at home depot. One is a single bulb LED and the other is a 2 bulb HO. I'm going to post the links below. Let me know what you think.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...rip-Light-ZR-2-54T5HO-MVOLT-GEB10PS/203137160

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-White-LED-Linkable-Shop-Light-54103161/205331022

Now for my filtration I decided on HOB simply because I find the maintenance to be easier. I already ordered a Seachem tidal 110 off of amazon. I plan on adding a second Tidal but wanted to see how I like it before I jump into a second one. I've heard some complaints about the tidals having bypass but I have a few ideas on how to solve that issue. I go over that and post some pictures when I get my hands on it.

I want to add some extra circulation because the tank will have lots of rock structure and I don't want any dead spots. I was looking at ordering a 4 pack of Sunsun JVP 110s which move 528gph each. I'm just not sure if 4 pumps would be too much of an eye sore and I should just go for a pair of bigger circulation pumps. Let me know what you guys think?

One last thing for tonight. Does anyone have experience with Paratilapia Polleni? My LFS has a very nice one for $20 and I'd love to get it but my tank won't be ready for a few weeks? I'd love to see pictures if anyone has one.

If you read this far thanks and stay tuned because I will be posting updates next week when the Tidal 110 comes in.

This is definitely going to be the most viewed thread on the forum. :D

Lmao! You guys are too funny. I edited my post. The reason for the test was becaused I typed out a long post and it didn't work so I had to retype everything but wanted to try a test post first.

It wouldn't let me add pictures to my original post so here they are.
Bear with me guys I'm new here lol
20170828_222840.jpg20170827_124920.jpg20170827_124909.jpgseachem-tidal-110-800x800.jpg

Hey this isn't what I clicked on! Lol

And since when are you new here????

Wait a minute. IMG_1528.jpg

This is a different Fresh2o.

This is awkward and confusing...

Last edited:
I have been trying out a pair of the Seachem Tidal 55s for a few weeks now.

So far, I like them a lot but obviously it is too soon for me to report on long term use. The self-priming feature alone is worth the investment for me.

As for the powerheads, in a 4ft tank I wouldn't want 4 power heads. I would probably get a pair appropriately sized units and avoid all those cords. You only need to put a bit of flow in the bottom layer of the tank so it kicks up the debris to your filters. You will probably have to play with placement of them to get it right. That being said, if *you* don't care about the cords than more powerheads will give you more flexibility. It will also make the flow patters more complicated.

Thanks for the input dalto. Yea I think the 4 power heads will be too much. I'll look into getting a pair of bigger ones.

Back
Top Bottom