Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

setting up breeding/fry tank

I just picked up a 50 Gallon tall that I'm going to try and breed my new fuelliborni. Any suggestions or hints will help. They have bred in the main tank before but I want to produce more. I will post pictures soon!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Leave them in the main tank until they breed, wait for the female start carrying, give her a week or two, then transfer her into the fry tank. Have the fry tank cycled and ready to go, then drain the water and add water from the main tank just before you transfer the female. As soon as she release the fry, remove the female. Return her to the main tank only after you have rescaped the main tank, so that all the fish have to reestablish their territories. Otherwise, she will probably be harrassed and killed when you transfer her back. Hope that helps.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well I have two males and one is dominant in the tank so I want to get the other one to breed because he's prettier. So I figured I could just leave him and his females in the 50 Gallon that way I can actually catch the holding females because its almost impossible to catch anything in my 150 gallon. Way to much holey rock.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

What are the floor dimensions on the 50 tall? If its less than 4' I wouldn't use it for a second tank, especially with the fullborni. While they appear pretty docile compared to some, they will kill each other off if you don't have adequate space/hiding places. Once you find those things, you will likely find it just as hard to catch the females in the 50 as you do in the 150, just with less rock to remove in order to catch her.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont know the exact dimensions I just know its not a 4' tank. And yeah mine have always seemed pretty chill compared to the other one so I just assumed it would be better for.the one male and hhis three females to breed in there. Hmm maybe ill just save it ffor fry.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So you think with a bunch of clay pots and sstuff those 3 or 4 fuelliborni wouldn't.be okay?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Still risky, but maybe possible. Personally if I were going to try it, I would get a ratio of about 6 or 8 females to the one male and then try it. I'd still keep a very close eye on it. You also then have the issue if it doesn't work of trying to reintroduce those fish back into the existing DT.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah the reintroducing part kinda worries me.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

It can be done if you totally rescape the DT when you introduce them so that all the fish are having to reestablish their territory, and then introduce as many new fish at one time as you can. Both factors will help to minimize and spread the aggression.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah. Well I just added the male and his two females I'm talking about maybe last week and he's not really eating so I figured his own tank wouldn't hurt

Tags
breed, breeding, fry, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com