Setting up dwarf cichlids info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am interested in making a dwarf Cichlid tank. It's a 36 gallon bowfront with some good floor space. It is heavily planted with tons of hiding spots. My ph is around 7.0 and all other parameters are good and weekly water changes are done. Currently I have some GBRs but I want to add some other species. What would work? I know kribs are from Africa and are typically more aggressive but could they work? What about festivium and double red agassizis? I would like either a pair or a trio of each species I could keep. Can you think of any other species that could work?

Check out Apistogrammas (and other South American dwarf cichlids). I've got a couple of Apistogramma borellis on order. I have a couple of Bolivian Rams already.

Apistogramma
Laetacara
Nannacara
Dicrossus
Mikrogeoohagus

I'd try to stick to a pair of one species (or harem depending on the species). Dicrossus from my experience tend to leave other species alone so dicrossus filamentosa is my recommendation. I have d. maculatus, they're harder to find, but I love them

I am thinking I might try some double red acara, rams, maybe another species along with some dither fish I already have red blue so maybe I will just bump up their numbers

What is a double red acara?? Do you mean a double red apisto? As in either agassizi or caucatoides?

Just remember, Dwarf Cichlids don't do well when tightly confined in high numbers, stress, loss of colour, illness, fighting etc. Ideally you should allow at least 30cm square area for each breeding pair or couple with lots of sight breaks and caves. Personally I wouldn't do anymore than 2 pairs in that tank with other Tetra etc.

Back
Top Bottom