Setting up my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I think I'm finally there! Brought the tank in and I see no leaks. Tank is filled up and now trying to wait for sand to settle. This is exciting.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I emptied the tank completely since I had to move it outside them back in. So I then filled the tank with sand then water and no I'm waiting. Hoping to get some fish in there by March.

I emptied the tank completely since I had to move it outside them back in. So I then filled the tank with sand then water and no I'm waiting. Hoping to get some fish in there by March.

It's going to be cloudy for a couple is days but that's ok. Just wait for the sand to settle before tog start your filter they say the sand sometimes jams the pumps

So I'm not supposed to run filter now? Oops. I thought filter was supposed to run as part of clearing process. I had filter on in previous tank when I had crushed coral substrate.

It's not recommended because it could jam the pumps.

Makes sense I like you ran the the filters when I changed my substrate oops but since they told me here I don't recommend it

Got it. So once it settles on its own then the cycling begins? I was wondering about that. So all the good I had from running my filter a couple weeks on the old tank is now lost I assume.

Got it. So once it settles on its own then the cycling begins? I was wondering about that. So all the good I had from running my filter a couple weeks on the old tank is now lost I assume.

Not sure if it's all lost
Just ideas ....
Let's trouble shoot what about moving the filter back to your old tank

Will stoping the filter for a couple of days destroy all the bacteria build up not sure on that. You might be able to stop the filter and keep going with the a cycle once you restart it

Only way I have destroyed bacteria is by taking it out to dry ( I know back when I started) and when I cleaned the filter with tap water I don't know of another method that kills good bacteria

Not 100% on these one but that's what I think

ysepudur.jpg

Waiting for the sand to subside. Getting clearer every hour. Can I start cycling now or should I wait till clear?

I'd use filter on it now. It'll clear quick. The super fine particles floating have never clogged my canisters. Is the filter from a running tank and moved right to this one or has it been unused?

From my existing 90 gal moved to my new tank. Running a sump with the fluval fx6. Took some big rock from the old tank to new one but I let it sit out so probably lost all the good stuff.

So it is finished. After a couple missteps and some new appreciation of Teflon tape, I have a great aquarium up and running. Completed the transfer of 17 haps and peacocks from my 90 to my 180 today. Did a fish in cycle (I know I'm the devil) for about 3 weeks with 8 fish and lost none. No nitrites, no ammonia, and nitrates about 20.

All fish seem happy. Will use the 90 as a grow out tank, but it looks so empty. Now has about 13 or so smaller fish.

Pics coming soon.

Watch "The Life of Fish" on YouTube

This is a short view of the new tank.

So I added a few mbuna to my Peacock and hap tank. They are small so they shouldn't be to much of a problem. I now have about 28 fish in my 180 gallon. They seem to be doing well. My little mbunas in the second picture.

Thinking about starting a Central American tank in my 90. Currently I am using it as a grow tank but that is somewhat boring. Thinking about doing a 400 gallon in the summer.

Attachments

• 1395499577229.jpg
    1395499577229.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 1395499705899.jpg
    1395499705899.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 78
Thanks. Trying to decide how densely to stock it. I know I will get at least a dozen more fish in the next month or so. That will be about 42 in a 180. I will just let it grow after that.

Back
Top Bottom