Setting up new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C_howard78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone I'm a first time subscriber and this is my first post. I have a 37 gallon tank that I am working on setting up. I want to put African cichlids in it and I've been exploring types of substrates that can be used. I like sand and its natural look and I have heard about people using play sand and pool filter sand. I think I can use a mixture of fine/pool filter and all purpose to make a natural looking landscape.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on this subject or any suggestions. I'm mostly looking for something inexpensive, but I also want it to look halfway decent since I'll be staring at it for awhile.

Thanks for your help I appreciate any input.

:welcome: to AA!

You can use quickrete play sand, pool filter sand, all purpose sand or any that are sold at an lfs. I use the play sand and its a little tricky to clean because its so fine. That's why a lot of people like the other ones better.

Here is a link to help you on your way with Africans
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

You'll need to be very careful on the selection of Cichlids with that size tank. :)

Thanks for your input. Is there a certain selection of cichlid you would recommend? I was thinking of getting a bunch of small Africans. i was told at my lfs that I should get a lot, relatively the same size, and that it will help to tame their aggression.

C_howard78 said:
Thanks for your input. Is there a certain selection of cichlid you would recommend? I was thinking of getting a bunch of small Africans. i was told at my lfs that I should get a lot, relatively the same size, and that it will help to tame their aggression.

From what I have learned here, you can't tame the aggression, but you spread it out so one doesn't take the brunt of it.

True ^^^^ to that

Now if it was me since a 55 gallon is really the starting point with these dudes. I'd go for under 4 inchs of fish at full size. Plus try to find the least aggressive as in the yellow fin mbamba,yellow labs or some of the afra. You'll probably need to order online to be able to get some of these though, just a heads up. Most of us that have Cichlids get them there. :)

Andrew McFadden said:
True ^^^^ to that

Now if it was me since a 55 gallon is really the starting point with these dudes. I'd go for under 4 inchs of fish at full size. Plus try to find the least aggressive as in the yellow fin mbamba,yellow labs or some of the afra. You'll probably need to order online to be able to get some of these though, just a heads up. Most of us that have Cichlids get them there. :)

Are there any websites you recommend? I didn't even realize you could order fish online to be honest haha

C_howard78 said:

Hello hello so I have been keeping Africans for a couple years now. If you want smaller Afros that stay small take a look at the tangyinikans I have gotten a lot of fish from live fish direct they do a really great job I just set up my 20 gallon and I am currently think about doing a gold occie tank

if ur an aussie try livefish.com.au i only use them id preffer them over most of the west oz pets stores

Yeah I'm in MA so idk if any of those sites are gonna work for me.

Took me a while to get these pics up, this is my first cichlids tank and I love it. Tanks been up and running for a couple months now. I've got about ten small African cichlids. They've grown a lot since I got them. I'm really happy with how my tank came out and my fish are happy and active. It's been a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom