Severum aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W1nt3rsh0wl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a large gold severum in a 38 gallon aquarium, I was wonderinng if this was enough or if I should upgrade. I am going for a 75 gallon aquarium and also wonder how many severums could be held in a 75 gallon.

Any other advice on severums would also be appreciated, like what plants can be kept with them without them eating it.

I would say a 4ft tank is the minimum for a severum. They will reach the 8-10" at full adulthood.

Groups of severums are going to be hit or miss. I have seen 4 severums in a 75g without issue and I have tried to put 3 together and one of them constantly harassed the other 2. That being said, overall they are a fairly peaceful fish. Especially with other species.

Other South American cichlids that are generally compatible.
Satanoperca Leucosticta
Geophagus winemilleri
Geophagus dicrozoster
Geophagus sp. "Red Head Tapajos"
Geophagus steindachneri
Geophagus abalios
Geophagus surinamensis
Aequidens metae
Uaru amphiacanthoides
Biotodoma species
Mesonauta species(Festivum)
Mikrogeophagus Altispinosus(Bolivian Ram)
Hypselecara temporalis(Chocolate cichlid)
Apstiogramma species
Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis
Laetacara dorsigera
Laetacara curviceps
Acarichthys heckelii

Other fish
Most tetras that aren't snack sized. (I have not seem them predate tetras in my aquaria but it has been reported)
Most loricariids(plecos)
Corydoras species

Basically, most peaceful fish can be tank mates for a severum.

EDIT: A couple of additional things.
1 - Apparently I made a giant list of peaceful SA fish while I wasn't paying attention. :)
2 - While I believe all those fish are compatable with the Heros species(Severum), I was not recommending you keep them all and you should ensure you have a large enough tank for whatever additional species you would like to keep.

I would move the one severum to a 75 and add some smaller geophagus. As far as plants go with a severum it never worked for me.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would move the one severum to a 75 and add some smaller geophagus. As far as plants go with a severum it never worked for me.

A 75 really isn't enough space for a large species to be with geos. Most geo species will get over 6" each, and hAving done this, I can say from experience that issues arise easily

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 75 really isn't enough space for a large species to be with geos. Most geo species will get over 6" each, and hAving done this, I can say from experience that issues arise easily

I stand corrected

I have done this very successfully. I think it depends which geos in specific your are talking about. Something small like a group of G. sp. "Red Head Tapajos" which stays sub-5" should do fine in a 75 with a single severum.

Altifrons, on the other hand, not so much. Also, pretty much none of the non-true Geophagus would work.

Upgrade to a 125 and you'll have enough room for a pair of severums and a group of silver dollars. A Synodontis catfish or a group of botias, and a pair of BN pleco's for cleanup crew. Plastic plants, severums will eat just about anything real.

I have done this very successfully. I think it depends which geos in specific your are talking about. Something small like a group of G. sp. "Red Head Tapajos" which stays sub-5" should do fine in a 75 with a single severum.

Altifrons, on the other hand, not so much. Also, pretty much none of the non-true Geophagus would work.

I used g. sp. Rio Pindare. It worked well for a while but I had issues with them picking on the runt

Back
Top Bottom