Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Severum Cichlid

hi and thanks for reading! I have three golden severums in a 20 gallon short tank. When I first bought them they were active and curious. After having them a couple weeks I changed the water and it seems since then they turned shy and hide all the time. Their color has muted also but changes back to normal when feeding. Is there a reason for them to all of a sudden be so skiddish? I watched these three in the local pet store for months before buying and they always seemed happy in their 20 gallon tank with no plants. Now after a month in my tank with plants and rocks they don't seem happy. What should I do? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarium fisher View Post
hi and thanks for reading! I have three golden severums in a 20 gallon short tank. When I first bought them they were active and curious. After having them a couple weeks I changed the water and it seems since then they turned shy and hide all the time. Their color has muted also but changes back to normal when feeding. Is there a reason for them to all of a sudden be so skiddish? I watched these three in the local pet store for months before buying and they always seemed happy in their 20 gallon tank with no plants. Now after a month in my tank with plants and rocks they don't seem happy. What should I do? Any advice would be much appreciated.
The first thing you need to think about is these fish will outgrow a 20 gal ( any dimension) tank so you should be preparing for a new tank if you want to keep these fish healthy.
Next thing is make sure your water parameters are staying stabile. You said that the fish started acting funny after a water change. It's possible that the water you used was not to their liking. You also may have changed something like the PH too rapidly by the amount of water you changed so the fish are reacting to that change. (You should always test PH of tank water before you do PWCs and of the water you are adding.)
Lastly, you said that the fish looked fine in an open tank with no plants or rocks. Your tank may now be too crowded for them (considering that they must have done some growing while in the pet shop) because of your plants and rocks.

Just some things to think about

Hope this helps

Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

The first thing you need to think about is these fish will outgrow a 20 gal ( any dimension) tank so you should be preparing for a new tank if you want to keep these fish healthy.
Next thing is make sure your water parameters are staying stabile. You said that the fish started acting funny after a water change. It's possible that the water you used was not to their liking. You also may have changed something like the PH too rapidly by the amount of water you changed so the fish are reacting to that change. (You should always test PH of tank water before you do PWCs and of the water you are adding.)
Lastly, you said that the fish looked fine in an open tank with no plants or rocks. Your tank may now be too crowded for them (considering that they must have done some growing while in the pet shop) because of your plants and rocks.

Just some things to think about

Hope this helps
Very good advise Andy!!!!

Tags
cichlid, severum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com