severums and red hump geophagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingogirl66

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 90 gal fully aquascaped with rocks,sand,driftwood,java ferns and some amazon sword. The fish that I house are (2) juvenile severums, couple of tetras and corey cats. I have been eyeballing this Red Hump Geophagous and I was wondering what others would think about adding this fish? I only want one and the 2 severums. I will give up tetras and such when needed as well as the plants. I did have angels in this tank but once they got older they were just boring. I appreciate all input.

i was waiting for more experienced people to answer your q's (not having kept geos or sevs myself), but here goes.
i don't see any probs with the setup you described. sevs are known for eating plants, but i hope java ferns and swords would be able to withstand their onslaught (more input needed). one steinie is going to do fine. if you want more, make sure you have only one male, as they are known to behave roughly towards conspecific males. i also don't know the effects of keeping smaller cories with larger sevs (they are going to grow).
best of luck.

I would also like to know about peoples red hump geo experience

I would also like to know about peoples red hump geo experience

I have several types of geophagus from red heads to altifrons, neambi pindare....etc. they are great fish and I have focused much of my attention to this species.
In a 90g you could get away with more than one and I would say go for a trio. Keep in mind that since they dig all day over filtration is practically a must. They should live quite peacefully with the fish you have and don't see the need to rehome any.

Back
Top Bottom