Sex my flowehorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swiler123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it a male or a female please help me i cant tellImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404831570.207110.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hard to tell but my best guess would be female.

Lovely fish. There are some nice ones on sale at one of my LFS and i'm pondering it. Might be a mistake long term though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Female as males would develop a nucal hump by that size.

It all depends on the quality of the stock, a lot of males from poor stock develop small or no hump at all. I really don't see how this guy can say they develop by that size if we don't know how big the fish is. I'm glad this guy likely won't be gracing us with his bad info anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gillie has a point lol. I assume it is female but it could just be a small male or a male of poor stock.

I was looking at the anal fin; it appears to be rounded. The 5" male I had pointed dorsal and anal fins and vivid coloration.
Poor stock is also possible but I'm sticking with female.

It all depends on the quality of the stock, a lot of males from poor stock develop small or no hump at all. I really don't see how this guy can say they develop by that size if we don't know how big the fish is. I'm glad this guy likely won't be gracing us with his bad info anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just judging by the pic

....Op's, seeing as you posted nothing. This fish lacks the dorsal black spot, as well as having pointed fins. Venting it would be the best way to tell...

Back
Top Bottom