Sex of my Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jchillin said:
And I'm thinking..."Boy" are you lucky. Yeah, looks like a boy to me...anal fin is elongated almost to the tailfin.
now i just need to find him a girl, when we move to the 75!

Well, let's see here. I'm thinking with that cute of a face, it has to be a girl, lol. Here's my pics to help in the deciding, then will let you see which is closer.

First, the anal fin isn't that long. The males goes way into the tail, where the female just goes past the beginning of the front of the tail. Second, the black line on the head that goes through the eye. The males are not as pronounced, as you can see in my pics where mine are breeding. The males is light, where the females is very pronounced. And that's how mine always is. And finally, look at the shape. The male is a bit larger, and a bit more rounded. So if I were to guess the sex of yours, I would have to say Female. Sorry Jchillin, lol. Here's a couple pics....

Edit:
Also, look at the pelvic fins (the forward fins under the belly). In your pic, they don't quite touch the anal fin. Look at my male and female, the females doesn't quite touch the anal fin or barely touches it, but the male's goes way past the beginning of the anal fin. And the anal fin on the female is also smaller. So I'm still saying Female. :)

My female:
75g108.jpg

Male left, female right:
75g238.jpg

Lonewolfblue said:
. So I'm still saying Female. :)
on closer examination i think i agree with you.. so i will have to find HER a boyfriend after the big move! :D

hmmmm when i get the chance, i may hijack this thread with pictures of my own brand new GBR's... the larger one shows some agression to the smaller one, so i'm wondering if theyre both males or mixed.

Ok! i hijacked it sooner than i thought! I'm thinking they are both males, can someone confirm/deny this?

Attachments

• fuzzyboth_161.jpg
    fuzzyboth_161.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 23
  • fbig_534.jpg
    fbig_534.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 28
  • fsmall_187.jpg
    fsmall_187.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 19
sudz said:
hmmmm when i get the chance, i may hijack this thread with pictures of my own brand new GBR's... the larger one shows some agression to the smaller one, so i'm wondering if theyre both males or mixed.

These are not GBR's. They are Bolivian Rams.

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

WHATTTTT?
I was wondering why they were a little nippy to eachother, everything i read about german blue rams said they were very docile.

Should I return them? will they get aggressive towards my angles/gourami's?

I'm kinda angry. the store mislead me. are these typically cheaper/more expensive than german blue rams?

But anyway... do you know what sex they are? ;-)

No need to return them. From my experience with both types (Bolivians and GBRs), they only seem to be aggressive towards others of the same species. They are both very well behaved citizens in a community tank.

I have never seen a ram go after another fish unless it was attacked first or if a pair was spawning. I had a Bolivian mortally wound a dwarf gourami who kept badgering him at feeding time. I guess he got fed up one day because there was a quick fight and the gourami caught the worst of it. he died a few days later. I had a pair of GBRs in a 10gal tank with a few neon tetras. They got along fine.....until the female ram laid eggs. She went after the neons relentlessly anytime they came near the eggs. Other than that, I have never seen another case of aggression by either species, unless it's a territory squirmish with another of the same species (i.e. GBR vs. GBR).

The 2nd fish could be a male, but it is really hard to tell with Bolivians...

Good luck with them!

I have 5 Bolivians in a 30 gal and they squabble occasionally but it's pretty harmless and all of the fish are doing fine.

Ok now I'm no pro on rams but how can you say those are bolvines Wolf. I just don't see that. I see GBR males. I don't see any thing that even says bolvine.

It's the eyes. GBR's have red eyes and Bolivians have black eyes. The red streaks on the fins also give it away...

Edit: I meant to say red eyes, not red streaks...

I'm sorry I just don't see it. My GBR's have the black line throw the eyes and red striped tail also. But like I said I'm no pro. I thank a better side view picture woud help me. LOL

Lonewolfblue said:
sudz said:

These are not GBR's. They are Bolivian Rams.

My error. Now that I see pics, those are GBR's that you posted. My bad... I must have posted before the pics were added. Sorry..... :) And they look both like males to me too. My males get along fine. But they are also in a 75G, which they have lots of room. So minimal aggression.

I was hoping I wasn't losing my mind. I knew they where GBR's there's just to much color to be bolvines. Lots of sparkes also, Bolvines are no where near that colorfully.

Yup, when I posted, there were no pics. At least they weren't coming up for me, so I thought they were talking about my Bolivian pics as GBR's. But now that I see the pics, they are male GBR's.

I kind of thought I was losing my mind too. I looked at them for a while and thought that bolivians didn't have the yellow and the sparklies.

The only thing I don't see in the pics is the red eyes. lol. Every GBR I've seen has red eyes. Including all 14 of mine. My babies have red eyes as well, and they are only about 3/8 inch including the tail, lol. Could be due to the camera as well.

Man i'm gald You see it to, I thought I was losing it for a minite there. I knew Bolvines had red eyes and didn't hve that much color. LOL

Back
Top Bottom