Sexing a Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdempsey1980

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me which method is accurate for sexing a jack Dempsey. Looking at the fins and seeing which are pointy and which are rounded or the neon color patterns around the face and lower gills ?

Both of my fish I have pointy fins one seems longer and more exaggerated and the other has more coloration down around the face and lower gill area.

Thanks. Looks like I have a male and female according to your description. I had the male first, is about 1/4-1/2" bigger. He is giving her a hard time, not biting or very violent but just pushy. Any ideas on that ?

Males have brighter more vivid colors and are larger. The dorsal fin would round off at the tip, not pointed like males.

Hey guys. I'm having a bit of trouble feeding both fish. They settled down nicely. But when attempting to feed, the male eats sparsely and then turns his attention to not letting the other fish eat... Rather agressively. Any suggestions?

Male jack ds will be around a third bigger than females when fully grown with a lot more colour and spangles, best way to sex when younger is males have no colouring on lower jaw/chin it is mainly just pinky in colour but females have the colouring all way down

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390398384.527412.jpg they are by no means full-grown, The male is about 7" the female about 5 1/2-6 "

I wouldn't worry about the feeding they both look like they are full bodied. I am sure the female is coming back and getting food after the male is finished.

Thanks Arthurstorm. Also, I agree about the feeding. It has now been almost 3 weeks, the female looks very healthy. She must be eating substantially. I saw her eat a ghost shrimp for the first time yesterday. It's the first thing I've ever seen her eat.

Back
Top Bottom