Sexing demasoni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandyyyboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I have a 55 gallon with 14 demasoni and 9 yellow labs. They started out as juvies, but now they are getting to all be about 2 inches long. I have a good amount of Texas holey rock and have created holes and caves for hiding. The aggression has been minimal with some chasing in circles.

I just have a few questions. How do you tell the difference in male and female dems? I know I probably need to get rid of some of the fish, but what am I supposed to do with them - do local pet stores buy them?

I've had the tank set up for three months.
Filtration - marineland biowheel 350, Rena filstar xp2

Attachments

• image-1650730942.jpg
    image-1650730942.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image-336845687.jpg
    image-336845687.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 123
Dems are a tough one to sex, most often their behavior gives the males away as far as aggression. Don't go by color or fin shape like alot of people will recommend as color is based on dominance IMO, so that really leaves venting as the other option. Below is a link to show the difference of the males/females.

Male or Female?

As far as rehoming fish most LFS will take them depending on species, I wouldn't think you will have a issue getting them to take dems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom