Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sexing discus?

How can you sex discus ? I am very curious about what sex they are so in the future I can breed them if I am lucky! Is it possible to sext them just by looking at them? They are still young about 3 inches or so, bigger ones being 3.5-4 inches ! Can you tell sex at this age by pictures?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbree13 View Post
How can you sex discus ? I am very curious about what sex they are so in the future I can breed them if I am lucky! Is it possible to sext them just by looking at them? They are still young about 3 inches or so, bigger ones being 3.5-4 inches ! Can you tell sex at this age by pictures?
This sized fish is still abit young to tell for sure. The best way for getting pairs of discus is to have a group of them grow up together and they will pair themselves. Keep possible spawning sites (like flower pots or breeding cones) as part of their decorations and when they pair off, you will see 2 fish protecting the spawning site from the other fish. Usually, the larger of those 2 fish will be the male.

In wild caught discus, males have a more pointed dorsal fin than the female. With all the domestic varieties available these days, I'm not sure that this is still true as there has been some deformaties in the tank raised strains.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1, agree with Andy. Going by fins and nose is very difficult with today's strands.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright thank for all the help! I do have 2 half wild discus strains so maybe the dorsal fin will work! But defiantly thank you for the help!

Tags
discus, sexing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com