sexing julidochromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supafreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 5 julidochromis, and i'v been reading up about sexing, and venting them. I'v also read that the female is usually the larger one. The largest juli in my tank is about 4.5 inches, and has a verry obvious "thing" next to it's anus. The problem is that all my julies seem to have a "thing" of various size. Do the females also have something? or maybe I'm stuck with all males? Is there any other tell tale signs?

and has a verry obvious "thing" next to it's anus. The problem is that all my julies seem to have a "thing" of various size. Do the females also have something? or maybe I'm stuck with all males? Is there any other tell tale signs?
Cichlids do not have gonopodia as livebearers do. To vent a fish, you need to be holding it and looking in the vent. I have seen it done, but cannot do it myself. Luckily, male Julidochromis have a noticeable genital papilla and the males are smaller than the female in most cases.

How old are the fish?

I'v had the julies since last march, although i don't know when they hatched. They wern't very big when I got them. I'd say they are really close to a year

From every thing I've read size is the way to tell. For most juli's the female is larger as Menagerie said, except Julidochromis ornatus in which the female is smaller. HTH

Just curious, what kind of juli's are they? Marlieri? Regani? I've kept and bread J.Transcriptus (Kissi Bemba) in the past. In older breeding pairs females were substantully larger and bulkier than the males. I started off with about 6 or 8 3/4" juveniles and didn't start seeing any fry for at least a year after I got them. I wasn't even sure which ones had paired up for quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom