Sexing my blue ram please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very well sir! Also, should i look out for a blue ram with a plain black spot (no blue dots in the black spot) as a way to sex it as a male? Or no?

That's a decent way to tell, it's a combinations of traits, jewels in the spot, dorsal spikes, coloration, head slope. Not one of these traits by itself is a sure tell but multiple is ime

That's a decent way to tell, it's a combinations of traits, jewels in the spot, dorsal spikes, coloration, head slope. Not one of these traits by itself is a sure tell but multiple is ime

Also not to mention my fish had some front spikes of dorsal fin torn so it's hard to make an exact determination. I think I have a pretty good idea. Thanks a lot!

I added a blue ram to my tank a few weeks ago from a fish store. The guy seems to know what he was talking about as far as sexing my blue ram but I want to be sure. It's allegedly a male blue ram but according websites and other forums, a male blue ram does not have blue dots in the black spot. Mine has blue dots in the black spot. The color on my fish is fading and sometimes shows better when the fish doesn't feel stressed. I was getting concerned because I know they should be in pairs but before I make an order I need to know for sure whether mine is a male or female. I believe this is just a regular blue ram. I tried getting the best pics of the fish so please see all pics. Please let me know your opinion/thoughts.

Female op

I have a pair of blue rams in with 5 male guppies & 2 female guppies...all get along UNTIL the male is trying to court female into his sex den, then and only then, the male uses aggression to keep all distractions away.....btw my female blue has a pink/redish area on her belly which gets darker when ready to breed

So far I've received one reliable opinion on sexing my blue ram. Any more breeders or fishkeepers with experience on sexing blue rams?

So far I've received one reliable opinion on sexing my blue ram. Any more breeders or fishkeepers with experience on sexing blue rams?

It's 100% female, I have several pairs of rams, all the color morphs. Pick out my pairs from tanks with over 300 individuals. It's a female I promise lol

It's 100% female, I have several pairs of rams, all the color morphs. Pick out my pairs from tanks with over 300 individuals. It's a female I promise lol

Lol I trust you. Your username says it all. So if I go to find a male, I'm looking for short fins and a pure black spot (no blue dots) on the side? I heard its hard to sex them when they are young, so would I be able to sex them even when they are young or the characteristics just may not show?

Lol I trust you. Your username says it all. So if I go to find a male, I'm looking for short fins and a pure black spot (no blue dots) on the side? I heard its hard to sex them when they are young, so would I be able to sex them even when they are young or the characteristics just may not show?

They aren't much harder to sex when they are young. Look for the big dorsal spike, the dot without and jewels, a blue sheen over the dot isn't a tell its individual scales that look blue in the dot that says female. and no red on the tummy.

So a male usually has a red tummy, short dorsal spikes and no blue in the black spot?

Like I said there's no one tell, it's a combination. The lack of overall color in yours makes the red not there. But the fins and head slope and spot say female

Gotcha. I feel much better with your help. I think I have an idea of what to look in finding a companion this weekend. Thank you sir! as well as the others who contributed ;p

Back
Top Bottom