Sexing my Bolivians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wmitchell96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased two Bolivian rams from my LFS and there has been some aggression between the two. I am wondering if this may have something to do with their genders. If someone could help me sex them, that would be great!!
Additional information: They are in a 29 gallon with a school of neons, cories, and a single juvenile angelfish.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 84
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 82
I recently purchased two Bolivian rams from my LFS and there has been some aggression between the two. I am wondering if this may have something to do with their genders. If someone could help me sex them, that would be great!!

Additional information: They are in a 29 gallon with a school of neons, cories, and a single juvenile angelfish.

Are you able to provide a clearer picture of both. Side profile will be best.

The ram in photo 1 looks like a male, second looks like a female though I'm very skeptical because of photo quality.

Aggression is normal as long as it's not constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope these are better!

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 68
The first fish has taken over about 70% of the tank, and anytime he sees the other fish, he chases him/her back to the other side of the tank. Once they are out of each others eyesight they just go back to swimming around being fish. :fish2:

I had a m/f pair if EBR and they did the same thing, he was pig, if he spotted her he'd chase her all over the place, she'd just try to stay out his line of sight. I guess sometimes they just really are not into her..

Should I try to replace the female with a different one in the hopes he accepts her? Or should I just let them live on opposite sides of the tank? They are growing slightly more tolerable of each other, and I only added them 2 days ago.

Should I try to replace the female with a different one in the hopes he accepts her? Or should I just let them live on opposite sides of the tank? They are growing slightly more tolerable of each other, and I only added them 2 days ago.
thats a tough call, I really don't know? My female died 3 weeks after I got her, I'm pretty sure it was from stress but than again I had them in a 10 gal tank ( did not know any better at the time, Lfs said go for it)

Back
Top Bottom