Shell Dwellers!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi i am thinking of getting some lake tanganyika shell dwellwers. but i have some questions!
1. i think petsmart sells them but does anyone know for sure?
2. would they get along with botia kubotai, black skirt tetras, and angels?
3. is sand a must?

1:depends on store
2. No
3. No

Get small birchardi, they make great shell dwellers. At least the ones at my job do!

I think the brichardi are more peaceful and should get along with your fish.

FishFanatic88 said:
Hi i am thinking of getting some lake tanganyika shell dwellwers. but i have some questions!
1. i think petsmart sells them but does anyone know for sure?
2. would they get along with botia kubotai, black skirt tetras, and angels?
3. is sand a must?

1. Depends on store really.
2. I wouldn't say they wouldn't get along. Rather, they kinda need a little bit different water parameters. Also, I think it's best to keep the shell dwellers solo, so you can witness their amazing personality. This may not happen to it's truest extent with those tank mates.
3. Not a must. They prefer it because sometimes they move their shells and sand the way that they want it to be. They're not gonna die if they can't move gravel, they'll just be grumpy :)

1:depends on store
2. No
3. No

Get small birchardi, they make great shell dwellers. At least the ones at my job do!

The only shell dwelling brichardi that I've found through searching, is Telmatochromis brichardi.
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
The vast majority of LFSs won't have these, and more than likely won't even have a source for them. If you are referring to Neolamprologus brichardi (a much more common fish), they are not shell dwellers and small specimens certainly won't stay small.
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

I think the brichardi are more peaceful and should get along with your fish.

Not with the kubotai, tetras, and angels most likely. My research indicates that they are also a poor match for the shell dwellers.

More commonly you can find will be Neolamprologus Multifasciatus. (although still not that common)

My statement still stands. If keep them in a tank dedicated to them. Or with small Cichlids like smaller Julie, most likely the Masked Julie.

I have 6 brevis shellies and 4 julichromis transcriptis in a 20 long planted and they are all happy! And there's lots of activity to watch

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120802_205209.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120802_205209.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 139
  • ForumRunner_20120802_205245.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120802_205245.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 87
I have 4 lamprologus multifasciatus in a 6 gallon on my bedside. It's a bit on the small side, and I want to upgrade eventually. At any rate. They aren't the best with tank mates. They terrorize the ghost shrimp I throw in there. These are the smallest known cichlid species, but they still have the attitude of their larger cousins ;)

Back
Top Bottom