Shell dwellers and moon sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if shell dwellers would be OK on the tahitian moon sand by caribsea? I have heard that it is fairly sharp and should not be used with bottom feeders. But i know shell dwellers dig and move the sand around quite a bit.
thanks

I have no experience with it being sharp, its just what i have heard. Its a widely used substrate.

Yes, many people use it. But me personally, I would not use a sharp substrate. Even if we didn't have bottom dwellers, I wouldn't use it.

Understandable.

shelldwellers.com said it is good for shellies. so nvm.

I don't know if it's sharp or not, but a cheap alternative is play sand. The only thing I have ever heard regarding TMS is how the waste collects at the top and is clearly visible (this member may have been a tad obsessive about the esthetics of the tank). If folks at shelldwellers.com said TMS is good and you really like the way it looks, give it a try.

I use Sahara Sand, made by Caribsea. As far as I know, the only difference between the two is color (the Sahara Sand is a 50/50 mix of black and white). As far as I'm concerned, it's a perfect substrate for shellies and the only thing I now use.

Back
Top Bottom