Shellie tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it looks like me and the mrs are going to change the 25 into a Shellie tank

From my research I'm seeing that I can do about 5-9 fish depending on which I go with, is this accurate?

And also for hard scape is lace rock and slate acceptable?

And lastly where is the best place to order these fish and the shells for them online? No local stores carry them

Thanks in advance for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type are you interested in? That really determines the number you can keep.

Rock and slate are fine, just make sure there are a lot of shells. You can buy shells at hobby stores, even escargot shells work. Online sites like this. I've found that the fish aren't particular.

My go-to site for fish is Wet Spot; maybe others will have recommendations for other more cichlid-oriented sites.

To give you some ideas on stocking you might want to check out the cookie cutter setups on Cichlid-Forum.

What type are you interested in? That really determines the number you can keep.

Rock and slate are fine, just make sure there are a lot of shells. You can buy shells at hobby stores, even escargot shells work. Online sites like this. I've found that the fish aren't particular.

My go-to site for fish is Wet Spot; maybe others will have recommendations for other more cichlid-oriented sites.

To give you some ideas on stocking you might want to check out the cookie cutter setups on Cichlid-Forum.

I'm leaning toward the multies or the brevis

I have read the multies come out more so that's the most likely option I believe

Also like the lamprologus speciosus

Multifasciatus will be the easiest and cheapest to get. Depending on the foot print of the tank, I'd say 8-12 if you buy them all at the same time. Brevis I would stock 6-8 personally.

Similis is another cool species, look a lot like multis, but have an added stripe on the head

Multifasciatus will be the easiest and cheapest to get. Depending on the foot print of the tank, I'd say 8-12 if you buy them all at the same time. Brevis I would stock 6-8 personally.

Similis is another cool species, look a lot like multis, but have an added stripe on the head

It's an odd footprint 24L x 12W x 21H

I'm not worried about how much they are going to cost because this is one of the show off tanks in the living room on either side of the TV

I'll have to look up the Similis

I'm starting to fall in love with the speciosus but I'm having s hard time finding info on them

Got it all emptied out of plants and fish still some decorations and the walls need to be cleaned

But Here is a picture for reference

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441415681.166136.jpg

Do you all think this tank will work for shellies?

What will be a good way to occupy top tank space?

Got it all emptied out of plants and fish still some decorations and the walls need to be cleaned

But Here is a picture for reference

Do you all think this tank will work for shellies?

What will be a good way to occupy top tank space?

Looks good, just need lots of shells!

I did floating plants in my shellie tanks. In a tank that size you could possibly get away with something like zebra danios.

Looks good, just need lots of shells!

I did floating plants in my shellie tanks. In a tank that size you could possibly get away with something like zebra danios.

I have been reading about 5 shells per fish, that seem about right to you?

Sounds good. Multies like a lot, some others aren't as picky. Really interesting fish to watch!

I'm pretty excited, the only ones I'm interested in I can find online are multies and brevis so I'll probably go with multis

I'm pretty excited, the only ones I'm interested in I can find online are multies and brevis so I'll probably go with multis
Both types are nice and have lots of personality. I kept brevis pairs in 5g tanks, they bred like crazy! With the multies you have more of a colony/harem type situation.

Have you checked out ShellDwellers.com? Lots of helpful folks there and good information.

Both types are nice and have lots of personality. I kept brevis pairs in 5g tanks, they bred like crazy! With the multies you have more of a colony/harem type situation.

Have you checked out ShellDwellers.com? Lots of helpful folks there and good information.

I haven't seen that site before I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks

I have read a couple places of people keeping rock dwellers from lake tang in with the shell dwellers in a tank of my size, if a get a nice tall piece of holey rock or two do you guys think this is possible?

Or is that just bad info off the web?

Never did with multies but I had a 20l with calvus and stapps, a 29g with regani and occies.

I have read a couple places of people keeping rock dwellers from lake tang in with the shell dwellers in a tank of my size, if a get a nice tall piece of holey rock or two do you guys think this is possible?

Or is that just bad info off the web?

Freakgecko91 is the only one I know of to keep multi's with tank mates. But he had a lot of problems at first and says it's a constant struggle.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's calmed down now, but I did have my male spathodus erythrodon die and have lost two of my multis lately (I believe they were 2 of my originals from 2-3 years ago). It is a pain, and the footprint is REALLY important. Mine is a 20 long. I also have 15-20lbs of holey Rock on one side to create two separate tanks within one tank

It's calmed down now, but I did have my male spathodus erythrodon die and have lost two of my multis lately (I believe they were 2 of my originals from 2-3 years ago). It is a pain, and the footprint is REALLY important. Mine is a 20 long. I also have 15-20lbs of holey Rock on one side to create two separate tanks within one tank

So just make it a shell dweller only tank is the best option?

10-4 thanks for all the help everyone

Back
Top Bottom