Shellie's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting a Shellie tank, I have one female on the way I bought on here. It's a multi, does anyone know where I could buy more offline for cheap? Or maybe someone around these forums? I also would like any advice you guys could give that isn't on google. I've basically memorized that information.

May the force be with you.

Be careful on adding shellies separately. Once a multi/s become established, they don't welcome newcomers too well. I'm sure others will chime in with suppliers, I don't order online typically.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Be careful on adding shellies separately. Once a multi/s become established, they don't welcome newcomers too well. I'm sure others will chime in with suppliers, I don't order online typically.

I've seen on videos of them attacking the guy trying to clean tank lol , little guys with no fear

Shellies go hard.. my fav. tank to watch at my lfs.. they look pissed all the time..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm starting a Shellie tank, I have one female on the way I bought on here. It's a multi, does anyone know where I could buy more offline for cheap? Or maybe someone around these forums? I also would like any advice you guys could give that isn't on google. I've basically memorized that information.

Sand and at least 3 shells per fish. And yea adding these guys individually is a bad Idea. As to where to get them I have no answer to. My lfs gets them every now and then and sell for like $6 a piece Then there is Aquarium Adventure that always has them and sells them to non members for like $25 each.

If you are located in Indiana, I would recommend going to The Reef, as they always have multis in stock, and they have a couple other shell-dweller species there. That's where I get mine.

If you are located in Indiana, I would recommend going to The Reef, as they always have multis in stock, and they have a couple other shell-dweller species there. That's where I get mine.

What town are they in? Im always looking to check out new places

They are in Indianapolis, they are a family-run shop and have some exotic fish

I don't really have a choice but to add individually.

I don't really have a choice but to add individually.

You may need to talk to Freakgecko I think he is the only one I know that managed to keep others with them which would be the same as adding new. He used holey rock to somehow keep peace between the 2 colonies. I tried to add 2 additional to an established colony and found the 2 huddling under the filter all torn up in the morning. Inch for inch these are the meanest little guys I know.

I don't have any Shellie's in the tank right now, I only have 6 or 7 rainbows in the tank. Do you think the one will be okay until I get more?

what size tank is it and are you wanting to put them in with the rainbows? I personally would only do a species only tank with them.

It's a 75, I read that rainbows would be fine with them. Since rainbows mostly stay up top and they mostly stay near the bottom.

Yea I gave them there own little side to populate. So do you think the one will be okay until I find another. The one coming now is a female. The male I bought was lost in the original owners tank. So I'm either waiting until it's found or buying more.

I have no idea if he will be ok. Is it the tank in your avatar? Keep in mind that they are also constant diggers and will rearrange the area they claim to their likeing. When I had mine it amazed me how much sand they could move in a day.

No that's not the tank I'm using for this. That's my 29 gal neon tetra tank. This is the part of the tank I have setup for them. The shells will go between the two rocks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418781020.233633.jpg

Back
Top Bottom