Shellies in a 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm being given a 30 gallon tank and stand. YIPPIE!!! and I'm thinking of doing a shellie tank. I find the little shell dwellers very interesting indeed. I've even found a breeder fairly close in San Antonio (about 4 hours away....close by Texas standards. )

I have the perfect hard water (300 ppm) and my pH is 7.2, but I can up with crushed coral substrate and rocks. So, my question, how many shellies can I do comfortably in a 30? I'm looking specifically at Neolamp. brevis and I also love Lamp. stappersi check this pic: http://www.davesfish.com/images/fish/lamp_meleagris.jpg

Anway, just wondering what I need to set up other than filter, heater, rocks, shells, etc. and what my stock level will be. This is a 30 U.S. gallon tank, unsure of dimensions at the moment. Prolly a standard 30.

Anyone wanna advise?

The brevis will raise fry, the stapp's will eat theirs. DON"T put both species in the same tank, stick with one. Either way, best bet is to start with 5-6 juvies, and let them sort it out. Brevis may settle down as a trio or pair, stapp's most likley a pair.
Check this site for more info: shelldwellers.com

I prefer sand in all my shellie tanks. Other than that, just the basic equipment- and shells. I've tried lots of types of shells and found escargot shells to work best; they're the right size and light enough for the fish to move about (this is important, as shellies like to decorate their own tanks). ;)

I've kept several species of shell-dwellers, and N. multifasciatus (multies) are hands down my favorite. Actually, I'm getting rid of all my N. meleagris and going exclusively with multies. They form colonies, they raise their fry, and are the most interesting to watch, IMO. Do yourself a favor and check into 'em before you make any decisions.:)

Oh yeah, I'm finding more and more of these fish to love every day! I've fallen in love with L. ocellatus! I also like brevis and the multifasciatus. I need 100 tanks. LOL I really do like the ocellatus. What a pretty fish. Can I do the multis or the brevis with the ocellatus? Would that work?

I would pick one type of shellie. We used to have ocellatus in a 29, which were great, but VERY territorial to the point they nipped at us during PWC. Multies are wonderful also and we have managed to keep one pair alive through various moves and they finally had two broods that resulted in a couple of survivors. They are in a 25 gal long with a Julie that lives on the other side of the tank. I have been known to ask for dead snails at the LFS and then boil them to use for the shellies. It was gross, but worth it.

Shellies are so cute! I personally like L. ocellatus and think that my next tank project (after my 38g) will be a shellie tank. The more pictures I see of these guys, the more I want them.

I still have more research to do and I'll definitly be following your thread. I just wanted to recommend the Occies....they are so pretty.

I agree and I'm leaning that way too. I've seen some good looking ones on Aquabid, but it will be a while before I retrieve the tank and stand from my friend's attic. Fortunately, I shouldn't have to sink as much loot into this project as I did the 55. No special plant substrate, no special lights, etc. I'm actually looking forward to diving into it (hehehe I'm so punny). I'm hoping I can go get the tank this weekend. I'll have to triple check it for leaks.....it's been empty for a while.

Back
Top Bottom