Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hope not to offend those religios folks out there by mentioning the e word . . .

BUT a lot of evolution (change in the genetic makeup of a species) & speciation (a new species evolving) can happen in 700,000 yrs. Its really quite amazing how fast this can happen. Anyway I still think we should try to keep some pure strains of fish from known collecting localities to preserve this genetic diversity even if it occured really quickly.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I can certainly see the validity in your arguments Frog Girl...and yet, I do not see that Parrots are much of a genetic threat. Lets face it you can tell a Parrot from any other fish, and I believe that few if any hobbyists will ever be releasing fish into the wild.

My main concern is whether Parrots have a good quality of life....and from everything I have seen and read they do seem to. Now obviously that does not apply to dyed Parrots, but still.

I do not think I will purchase one as yet but they are very appealing fish with wonderful personalities.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

My parrots are happy and healthy in our tank with African Cichlids. I know that's not an idea situation (South American and African's together) but they are very happy. They rule the tank now that the Ice Blue died. We've had the yellow's for over a year and they have outlived any other fish.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

One LFS here has a HUGE tank with mostly Tanganika fish in, but interestingly there seems to be at least one Mawali Hap and several Firemouths (Central American) and they seem to get along. I spent a long time observing the tank, it had an awesome colony of Birchardis, a Bredding pair with a few 2 cm fry and a swarm of new hatchlings. They also have a Huge SAE and monstrous clown loach that is so lazy it lies on its side on the sand in a nook under the rock work.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not saying all hybrids are bad. Sounds like parrots aren't really a threat. I guess I was thinking more of rainbowfish (my latest obsession ). The species are really getting trashed in the fish farms unfortunately. But this isn't about them. As long as they don't get released & are sterile I don't see a problem.

Tags
parrot, parrot fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com