Should I get an EBJD or an Albino Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrayishTuna6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my topic suggests I'm indifferent on EBJD or an Albino Oscar, well I am. I have been doing a lot of research this past week on EBJD because they are fairly new to my attention. I saw one in my local aquarium store and it was about 2.5" (and VERY pretty, might I add.) My concern comes from all the people saying on the internet that under 4" they mostly flat line in a week or two because of not eating due to parasites or are extremely skittish and hide at the drop of a feather. My other option is an amazingly pretty 9"-10" Albino Oscar someone dropped off a couple of days before I went into the shop. Now Oscars I know, great fish, and what gets me is that I read about some, and by "some" I mean "very few" people saying their EBJD are just like Oscars. They say they eat out their hands, come to the glass and are really cool to watch.

Here's the bottom line, I'm afraid of three things happening if I get the EBJD...
1. Fish dies in a week or two because it doesn't eat at all.
2. Fish is a huge scaredy pants and I cant get near him.
3. It lives and is healthy, but is just "Meh.." not as interactive as my past Oscars have been.

What do you think? Take a shot with the baby EBJD? Or go for the safer bet with the seemingly very healthy Oscar?

Also, there is no one selling large fish like the Oscar I am looking at, and quite frankly I've never bought or sold a large fish. The guy I go to is asking $45. Does that seem about right for a 9"-10" Albino Oscar? Oh and the EBJD is $40.

ANY advice helps! THANK YOU!

What would be the tank mates for this fish??
I have a EBJD and it is my favorite fish, I never had any problems with parasites or health issues, that stuff boils down to good quality genetics and how the fish are cared for ! I say go for the EBJD and you won't be disappointed! oscars are a dime a dozen......

No tank mates, just the one EBJD or the one Oscar.

its a 55 gallon right now, and I'm saving up for a 110+......... Off topic but I almost cried when I walked in and my kinda close acquaintance/friend (the owner) had a new 400Gal. for sale.... It was beautiful, like the Mona Lisa for holding fish! I was like :cool:

I think I am going to go with the EBJD. I'm leaning that way also because my rocks are 60lbs black and 20lbs dark blue.. Coincidence? or FATE?

@MalawiMadness

Thank you for the fast reply, I just got off topic because its 1am, and my brain has retired for the evening.

Also, how big are your EBJD? I see a lot of people saying 8" max, then another forum says 12" max. It could be female and male respectively, but they didn't say that. Any ideas?

Haha I have a 125 and would love a 400 I think I'm going to buy a 200 for my next venture.
Just go with your gut don't let other people's bad experiences dissuade you! There are plenty of people that have EBJD and have great luck with them!
Check out my profile for pics of mine he is around 4.5 inches now

10" would be perfect, my tank is 4'X16". I'd hate to have a fish that can't even turn around without breaking his tail. Be like me trying to fit in a fiat!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I will add pictures when/if I get him, they said they don't really get them that often, which must mean they don't sell that fast, so it should still be there. It's been a while though... I'm going tomorrow, wish me luck!!

I'd go with the oscar. I like how the EBJD looks but lots of people consider them to be delicate.

Thank you Betta. My brother just came in and we were talking about which one I should get. He actually didn't pick either, I went to the site that (personally) I find to have the best pictures and blurps about specific fish and he saw the category for sharks. He likes the look of Balas, but me being somewhat knowledgeable in the hobby I heard those need a crud ton of open space and long swimming paths and a school. Oh, then we looked at piranhas. HA! If only, right?

Point of that long ramble was that we actually like the look of Balas. Black Sharks are so dang cool! But 2' is incredibly too big.. And needing a small school of Balas or Blacks will be too much for a 55 right now I think.

Too... Many... Choices.... Must... Not.. Search for different.... Fish....

Seriously? You know I thought you were cool to begin with but giving me MORE choices? C'mon man! Hahahah, I'm kidding, but I have looked at those and I just don't get that feeling from Convicts or Firemouths.

And as far as any African Cichlids I have no desire to get them again. They just faded after about a year. It was really sad to have a tank with such bright colors then over time just a gray tint of what color they used to be.

Like I put earlier, I'm going to the store tomorrow and I plan on spending a lot of time looking at everything and finding opinions on those specific fish from the people that work there because I know a lot of personality can differ between two different fish of the same species.

Personally I wouldn't choose either both are boring, bland and common . With a foot print of roughly 48x16x16 you have a pretty good range of fish you could choose. Look into the following Genus of fish;

- Thorichtys
-Cryptoheros
- Amatitlania
- Herichthys
- Apistogramma
- Laetacara / Nannacara
- Geophagus

Keep in mind not all the species in the suggested genus' will work but there are some nice ones that will. My Personal favorite is Thorichthys sp. " Gold Mixteco" .

Personally I wouldn't choose either both are boring, bland and common . With a foot print of roughly 48x16x16 you have a pretty good range of fish you could choose. Look into the following Genus of fish;

- Thorichtys
-Cryptoheros
- Amatitlania
- Herichthys
- Apistogramma
- Laetacara / Nannacara
- Geophagus

Keep in mind not all the species in the suggested genus' will work but there are some nice ones that will. My Personal favorite is Thorichthys sp. " Gold Mixteco" .

I agree 100%. You can get good quantity out of most of the genus selections that Mog provided. Herichthys has some real centerpiece fish as well.

From one existing EBJD and Oscar owner to a prospective owner - look at this list first before getting something as common as an Oscar that you will be stuck with for 10 years.

I ended up with an Oscar. He's adorable. Thank you for all the advice! It means a lot coming to a new forum and people helping right off the bat!

Oh, and to the other suggestions, I really liked the Herichthys, but this town is faaaar behind on the fish hobby. There are no breeders at all! NONE... and the only store around here is small. I also didn't want to buy online. So it was pretty much between a few Cichlids carried in the store I went to. Anyhoo, thanks again! I am definitely going to save every penny towards another big tank and get that Green Texas!

Back
Top Bottom