Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Should I get an EBJD or an Albino Oscar?

So my topic suggests I'm indifferent on EBJD or an Albino Oscar, well I am. I have been doing a lot of research this past week on EBJD because they are fairly new to my attention. I saw one in my local aquarium store and it was about 2.5" (and VERY pretty, might I add.) My concern comes from all the people saying on the internet that under 4" they mostly flat line in a week or two because of not eating due to parasites or are extremely skittish and hide at the drop of a feather. My other option is an amazingly pretty 9"-10" Albino Oscar someone dropped off a couple of days before I went into the shop. Now Oscars I know, great fish, and what gets me is that I read about some, and by "some" I mean "very few" people saying their EBJD are just like Oscars. They say they eat out their hands, come to the glass and are really cool to watch.

Here's the bottom line, I'm afraid of three things happening if I get the EBJD...
1. Fish dies in a week or two because it doesn't eat at all.
2. Fish is a huge scaredy pants and I cant get near him.
3. It lives and is healthy, but is just "Meh.." not as interactive as my past Oscars have been.

What do you think? Take a shot with the baby EBJD? Or go for the safer bet with the seemingly very healthy Oscar?

Also, there is no one selling large fish like the Oscar I am looking at, and quite frankly I've never bought or sold a large fish. The guy I go to is asking $45. Does that seem about right for a 9"-10" Albino Oscar? Oh and the EBJD is $40.

ANY advice helps! THANK YOU!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What would be the tank mates for this fish??
I have a EBJD and it is my favorite fish, I never had any problems with parasites or health issues, that stuff boils down to good quality genetics and how the fish are cared for ! I say go for the EBJD and you won't be disappointed! oscars are a dime a dozen......

Old 08-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #3

No tank mates, just the one EBJD or the one Oscar.

its a 55 gallon right now, and I'm saving up for a 110+......... Off topic but I almost cried when I walked in and my kinda close acquaintance/friend (the owner) had a new 400Gal. for sale.... It was beautiful, like the Mona Lisa for holding fish! I was like

I think I am going to go with the EBJD. I'm leaning that way also because my rocks are 60lbs black and 20lbs dark blue.. Coincidence? or FATE?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #4

@MalawiMadness

Thank you for the fast reply, I just got off topic because its 1am, and my brain has retired for the evening.

Also, how big are your EBJD? I see a lot of people saying 8" max, then another forum says 12" max. It could be female and male respectively, but they didn't say that. Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha I have a 125 and would love a 400 I think I'm going to buy a 200 for my next venture.
Just go with your gut don't let other people's bad experiences dissuade you! There are plenty of people that have EBJD and have great luck with them!
Check out my profile for pics of mine he is around 4.5 inches now
Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The breeder I got mine from told me his breeding pair both were around 10"
Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #7

10" would be perfect, my tank is 4'X16". I'd hate to have a fish that can't even turn around without breaking his tail. Be like me trying to fit in a fiat!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha yeah, he should grow fast by himself and I can't wait to see some pics
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #9

I will add pictures when/if I get him, they said they don't really get them that often, which must mean they don't sell that fast, so it should still be there. It's been a while though... I'm going tomorrow, wish me luck!!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go with the oscar. I like how the EBJD looks but lots of people consider them to be delicate.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albino, oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com