Should I get rid of my angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ucigas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay well I have a 36g tank with 4 angelfish and 4 albino cories last week I got a new angelfish and he's been chasing two of them and they haven't been eating much since. Not sure if he gets along with my other one or they're sizing each other up.
I rearranged the tank and created more hiding spots on the second day.

So should I get rid of him or will he mellow out and the others will start eating again once a pecking order is established?

Also do angelfish get along better with those of their own kind. Like all kois or all zebra

Okay well I have a 36g tank with 4 angelfish and 4 albino cories last week I got a new angelfish and he's been chasing two of them and they haven't been eating much since. Not sure if he gets along with my other one or they're sizing each other up.

So should I get rid of him or will he mellow out and the others will start eating again once a pecking order is established?

Also do angelfish get along better with those of their own kind. Like all kois or all zebra

Ok first off, i wouldn't keep 4 Angels in a 36. It really isn't that much space as they get pretty big and can be really really mean.

Also, if you get a breeding pair of them out of those 4, you're in trouble. Thats when the extreme aggression comes out.

However, they might just be checking each other out. They have to re-establish the pecking order, at least somewhat, so they will fight for a while. If it lasts more than a week or two, you may have to remove some fish. Once the order is established it should go back to normal.

The type of Angel doesn't matter, they are all the same fish. They have different colors due to genetics. However i believe Altum Angels are a different species that the rest but they still get along fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Not sure how i changed the color of the quote, just ignore it :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Dominance is one possibility or...

If there are 4 angels and you said he is chasing 2 of them....it is possible you have 2 that have paired up.
I just recently had a very similar scenario, 5 angels in a 40g one was being picked on and got injured so I removed him, aggression switched to the next and so on until only 2 remained. Week later the remaining 2 laid eggs.

Either way keep a close on eye on them you may have to move some fish if you have another tank available.

This has been my story with Angels, rarely I have been able to keep more than two in a tank. It could have to do with pairing or territory and in the small confinement of a tank, four of them most likely won't work.
You might have to remove two of them and even that's not a sure thing.
For a 36 gallon you might want to keep one mixed with other community fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agreed with what others have said- for best results keep one angel in a community. 5 is way too much for a 36 gallon tank. My wife and I have one in our community by himself and he's peachy to the other fish, while the two temporarily in my 20 gallon community are being absolute little monsters because I think they may be starting to pair.

Alright thanks guys. I will wait another week to see if he chills out. He's slightly bigger than the others

& yeah I read that 4 was too much for a tank but the guy at my store said it was ok and my tank looks pretty empty

Dominance is one possibility or...

If there are 4 angels and you said he is chasing 2 of them....it is possible you have 2 that have paired up.
I just recently had a very similar scenario, 5 angels in a 40g one was being picked on and got injured so I removed him, aggression switched to the next and so on until only 2 remained. Week later the remaining 2 laid eggs.

Either way keep a close on eye on them you may have to move some fish if you have another tank available.
So you think the two he's chasing have paired up? They do hang out together a lot. does he want to break up their pair or something

They get big fast. Ours was nickel-sized when we got him 10 months ago and now he's 3". They'll fill up your 36 when all's said and done.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So you think the two he's chasing have paired up? They do hang out together a lot. does he want to break up their pair or something

Anything is possible, but if had to guess I would say he is trying to keep the 2 away from him and his new mate. The 2 are probably sticking together trying to stay as far away possible.

Update: The fish ripped off a fin and scales of the one he was bullying and now she's going to die. I'm so sad I shouldv'e listened to myself!
Well at least now I will have two like you guys said

There is no way you can save it? Im not sure the extent if the wounds but they are tough... Have them in a very very clean tank alone and it could pull through.

And i agree, follow your instincts. Its better to be safe than sorry over unsafe then sorry...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom