should I or Should'nt I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2- 5 inch oscars in a 55 gallon tank.I also have two algea-eaters in with them.People have told me to buy a bottom feeder to help with water quality.Does the algea-eaters qualify as bottom feeders or do I need to buy another type of bottom feeder?Sorry if this is a dumb question,but,I am farely new to the art of aquarium addiction.Thanks for your help!!!

I wouldn't add anymore fish. The algae eaters will help clean up any leftover food that may fall to the bottom.

Be careful though with adding bottom feeders. They don't eat detrius and actually produce alot of waste, so as far as your water quality goes, adding them does not necessarily help as much as it goes against it and puts a heavier load on your bio filtration.

And I hope someone told you that all your fish in there right now are going to get huge and a 55 will not be big enough. Especially if its a common pleco you have.

The best way to keep you water quality high is to have a low fish load, keep up on regular water changes and feed lightly. Adding fish never improves water quality on an already heavy bio-load.

IMO 1 oscar isnt enough for a 55 gal, a 75 gal tank would be alot better for an oscar

Oscars get to be 1' and a 55 gal is 13inches wide which isnt even enough room for them to turn around so a 75 gal which is 18 wide will be much better

also i wouldnt add any more fish

if you get rid of one of those algae eaters you could get a syno cat

Back
Top Bottom