should i seperate my convicts from my jack dempseys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do you have a breeding pair with those convicts. I had with my last tank a mating pair and they were constantly having frys. I would just watch and if dempseys are constantly battering the convicts remove them from each other.

I've got a dempsey, a convict along with a jewel. They all get along fine. My concern for your tank would be the number of fish for your 55 gal. It seems that especially with 2 dempseys, they will eventually outgrow the tank and have to be split up anyways.

In my younger days, I had a breeding pair of Dempsies with a breeding pair of Convicts. Both pairs would pump out babies all the time... I could never get the dempsy babies to survive, I never knew what would become of them, they would last a couple days, then just dissapear... But the convicts would almost all survive. At one time I had about 300 convict babies from about 6 or 7 different batches.

Anyway, the dempsies and convicts shared a 55 gallon. The Dempseys stayed on the left and the convicts on the right... They almost seemed to ingore each other. But I think this was more the exception than the norm.

I think you should be fine, esp if they aren't breeding. If the Jack's breed, you may have a problem... But keep a close eye on them.

cons and dempsies are fine together if you are worried about the dempsie beating up the cons dont be if anything the cons with chase the dempsies. :lol:

You do realize that the Jacks alone will almost outgrow your tank. Regardless of how small they are now, they will get 8-10 inches in adulthood. You may not have problems with them now, but I imagine you will later down the road.

I would split them up. Normally when breeding, they can get excessivley agressive...not always, but usually.

Just my two cents. HTH

thanks everyone and yes i did seperate them because my cons were beating up my jacks and i then put a albino oscar in with them!!!!!!!!

thanks again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom