Shy convict cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a convict cichlid for a nice big specimen tank. I picked this particular one out because he was so funny spitting pebbles out to build a little cave and flaring at the other cichlids. also I wanted to potentially save someone newer to the hobby from introducing a particularly aggressive convict to a tank with fish in it, since I knew he'd be king of the tank coming home with me.
Well, I set him up a nice little cavish area and he's refused to come out and check out the tank since. I think he's still pissed about the ride home and all of that trauma. He's even deepened his hate lair at the expense of my lovely aquascape. I've tried blood worms and shrimp, and while I'm pretty sure he eats, it hasn't proved a good motivator for him to come out. How do I make my shy fish feel more secure?

It's been 5 days and he still won't leave his cave. Is there anything I can do?

It's been 5 days and he still won't leave his cave. Is there anything I can do?

Give him some time to get real adjusted. Stay away from the tank as much as you can so he doesn't feel threatened by you. He come around some fish just take longer than others to feel comfortable. I had a green terror one time that I didn't see for over a month and then one day he just came out and never looked back.

I had the same problem with my young JD. I have female ruling the tank so the lil one stayed hidden for a week. And just like he/she said he came out and was feeling at home

Back
Top Bottom