Sick cichlids! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Msowers321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon aquarium that has been established for about 3 months. I have slowly built up to 12 assorted cichlids. I've done regular water changes and have not been overfeeding. About a week and a half ago, I noticed a little but of ich showing itself on one of my fish. I raised the temp to 84 and started daily treatment with marina no-ich. A few days after that, other developed popeye and I noticed another with patchy scales. I started using maracyn to help with the infestation. I've been medicating and doing daily water changes for over a week and the situation is only getting worse. I had a blue lobster in the tank, but transferred him to another tank because I think he was stressing them out. I've lost 2 cichlids already and the others are loosing their vibrant color and beginning to get dull. Blacks are turning to grays, neons just don't pop anymore. Most of them are flashing and showing signs of discomfort. Some have fuzzy lips or spots. A few others seem perfectly fine. What can I do to remedy this situation before I have any more casualties? Help please!

I hope experts will chime in soon, but heard aquarium salt and slowly raising temp helps them. Some ppl treat ick with these methods. Hope someone with more help than me chimes in soon, good luck

I'm no expert by any means. I haven't read the other article titled fish diseases, maybe it has something on bacterial infection

i have had a fish with pop-eye and used melafix to treat and it worked it was a new fish being qtd i got it and two days later its eye was bulging out like crazy so i started treatment with melafix and it worked took about a week for the eye to go back to normal and i kept treating for 2 more weeks

sounds like you've done everything right to me. I just skimmed that article on fish disease. Could it be fungus? Maybe purchase some kind of all in one treatment?

sounds like you've done everything right to me. I just skimmed that article on fish disease. Could it be fungus? Maybe purchase some kind of all in one treatment?

I always keep a bottle of pimafix and melafix around just in case this happens, sounds bacterial.

I'm going to stop by the aquarium store on my way home grime work. I have not been using aquarium salts, but ill pick up some along with some of the other suggestions. I'm up for trying any suggestions at this point.

I'm going to stop by the aquarium store on my way home grime work. I have not been using aquarium salts, but ill pick up some along with some of the other suggestions. I'm up for trying any suggestions at this point.

I usually take my water up to 86 with ich treatment, but that's just me, see what the bottle recommends

Back
Top Bottom