Sick jag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GE75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help here fast.... Jag goin into fits... Alike to high nitrate levels.. Rubbing on the bottom... Water test:- 0 amm, 0 trite, 20 trates... My water changes r impeccable, and exact. This big fella is 10yrs.... I've never seen this before... Swim fins show little signs of tearing.... I don't wanna lose my main man.... Help....

I need some help here fast.... Jag goin into fits... Alike to high nitrate levels.. Rubbing on the bottom... Water test:- 0 amm, 0 trite, 20 trates... My water changes r impeccable, and exact. This big fella is 10yrs.... I've never seen this before... Swim fins show little signs of tearing.... I don't wanna lose my main man.... Help....

Did u do that water test recently? Forget to add water conditioner during a recent water change? See any signs of external parasites? Do u feed live foods? If he's flashing on your gravel, sounds like something is irritating him. Has he been eating?

Flashing is also a sign of ich, something stuck in his gills, etc.. Could be an external parasite or something wrong with the gills or skin.

Water test is current... 2 days out from my normal water change of 30%. On close inspection this morning, tiny white spots on 1 swim fin. Fish is eating normally, dry food. Live food went off the menu a few yrs back. I don't understand how this got into my tank. How do I best treat it? Pics soon when the lights come on....

Water test is current... 2 days out from my normal water change of 30%. On close inspection this morning, tiny white spots on 1 swim fin. Fish is eating normally, dry food. Live food went off the menu a few yrs back. I don't understand how this got into my tank. How do I best treat it? Pics soon when the lights come on....

If it looks like little grains of salt on him, it's ich. I've had to treat that once before and used Quick cure, cheap and effective. cured multiple fish in 3 days with no deaths. If you want to go the more natural route and don't like the idea of medicating your tank, turn your tank temp up to 86-88 and dose with aquarium salt. I didn't have the patience to try that method but seems like most other people have had success doing it that way, but it does take a while longer to cure going that route.

Tiny grains of salt and some minor fin tearing.... Ur rite... It's ich. Unsure how developed thru life cycle parasite is. Have I picked it early? What is mortality rate? Who makes quick cure?

Tiny grains of salt and some minor fin tearing.... Ur rite... It's ich. Unsure how developed thru life cycle parasite is. Have I picked it early? What is mortality rate? Who makes quick cure?

Company is "Aquarium Products." It's a small bottle but treats 400 gallons. Sounds like you've caught it early enough if you've just noticed your jag rubbing against things. Not sure what the overall mortality rate is but I had 1 case of it when I 1st started in the hobby with some smaller cichlids and didn't have any deaths so I think you should be ok with your larger Jag. I got a 9" male jag alone in a 125g, by far my favorite fish I've ever owned. Here's a pic of quick cure if you're gonna go with that...

ForumRunner_20131128_172043.jpg

He got stressed out and thats when i caught him. Raise your temp to 86° F 2° each hour and add some aquarium salt, follow the manufacters instructions. Dont get marine salt, but the aquarium salt made by API. What size tank? And is it planted?

Currently running 1 table spoon to 100 litres of water. Tank size is 650 litres. Fish only tank. 1 14 inch jag and 1 10 inch jag. I'm going to do both:- chemical remedy and raise my dose of salt and raise temp. Thank u everyone for ur help and fast response. This is a classic parasite. I'll post a shot of the infestation and an update in a week or so. Once again.... My hat is off to everyone...thank u...

Currently running 1 table spoon to 100 litres of water. Tank size is 650 litres. Fish only tank. 1 14 inch jag and 1 10 inch jag. I'm going to do both:- chemical remedy and raise my dose of salt and raise temp. Thank u everyone for ur help and fast response. This is a classic parasite. I'll post a shot of the infestation and an update in a week or so. Once again.... My hat is off to everyone...thank u...

I don't know if raising the temp and medicating the tank is a good idea. The medication will stress the fish and raising the temp in the mid to upper 80s will lower the oxygen levels in your tank. I believe it's best to do one or the other, medicine or raise temp/aquarium salt. Good luck, update and let us know how it goes

Dont do that. Use one or the other. Both will stress the fish to death. Do salt and temp as many fish find meds very stressful

Thanks for letting me kno that... What was I thinking??? I do tend to panic a bit when it comes to health of my fish. Okay.... I'll try raising my salt lvl first, and raise my temp in 1 degree Celsius increments for the next 3 days. Current temp 26.5 C. Would that b slow enough? I will also airate a power head. I can do this strate away... I already have the salt to do this...

Thanks for letting me kno that... What was I thinking??? I do tend to panic a bit when it comes to health of my fish. Okay.... I'll try raising my salt lvl first, and raise my temp in 1 degree Celsius increments for the next 3 days. Current temp 26.5 C. Would that b slow enough? I will also airate a power head. I can do this strate away... I already have the salt to do this...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Just read that article and you should be good, help you understand what's going on a little more. Says you can raise the temp 1 to 2 degrees Fahrenheit per hour, not sure on the conversion to Celsius though

Its ok i did that once too when i woke up one morning to all the fish in my 20g having fin rot, pop eye, and fungus. Still dont know what happend but i restarted the tank. (all fish died includeing my 7 month old GBRs, my fav fish) and then i added a mix of rid ich plus and salt and raised temp, i think it made it worse

I'm having problems sending photos to sho on this thread

image-2123404458.jpg

Note the large grains on swim fin

Back
Top Bottom