Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick jag

I need some help here fast.... Jag goin into fits... Alike to high nitrate levels.. Rubbing on the bottom... Water test:- 0 amm, 0 trite, 20 trates... My water changes r impeccable, and exact. This big fella is 10yrs.... I've never seen this before... Swim fins show little signs of tearing.... I don't wanna lose my main man.... Help....

Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE75 View Post
I need some help here fast.... Jag goin into fits... Alike to high nitrate levels.. Rubbing on the bottom... Water test:- 0 amm, 0 trite, 20 trates... My water changes r impeccable, and exact. This big fella is 10yrs.... I've never seen this before... Swim fins show little signs of tearing.... I don't wanna lose my main man.... Help....
Did u do that water test recently? Forget to add water conditioner during a recent water change? See any signs of external parasites? Do u feed live foods? If he's flashing on your gravel, sounds like something is irritating him. Has he been eating?

Old 11-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Flashing is also a sign of ich, something stuck in his gills, etc.. Could be an external parasite or something wrong with the gills or skin.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

Treat for external parasites. Any pics? Do a 25% wc.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Water test is current... 2 days out from my normal water change of 30%. On close inspection this morning, tiny white spots on 1 swim fin. Fish is eating normally, dry food. Live food went off the menu a few yrs back. I don't understand how this got into my tank. How do I best treat it? Pics soon when the lights come on....
Old 11-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Water test is current... 2 days out from my normal water change of 30%. On close inspection this morning, tiny white spots on 1 swim fin. Fish is eating normally, dry food. Live food went off the menu a few yrs back. I don't understand how this got into my tank. How do I best treat it? Pics soon when the lights come on....
If it looks like little grains of salt on him, it's ich. I've had to treat that once before and used Quick cure, cheap and effective. cured multiple fish in 3 days with no deaths. If you want to go the more natural route and don't like the idea of medicating your tank, turn your tank temp up to 86-88 and dose with aquarium salt. I didn't have the patience to try that method but seems like most other people have had success doing it that way, but it does take a while longer to cure going that route.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #7

Tiny grains of salt and some minor fin tearing.... Ur rite... It's ich. Unsure how developed thru life cycle parasite is. Have I picked it early? What is mortality rate? Who makes quick cure?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Tiny grains of salt and some minor fin tearing.... Ur rite... It's ich. Unsure how developed thru life cycle parasite is. Have I picked it early? What is mortality rate? Who makes quick cure?
Company is "Aquarium Products." It's a small bottle but treats 400 gallons. Sounds like you've caught it early enough if you've just noticed your jag rubbing against things. Not sure what the overall mortality rate is but I had 1 case of it when I 1st started in the hobby with some smaller cichlids and didn't have any deaths so I think you should be ok with your larger Jag. I got a 9" male jag alone in a 125g, by far my favorite fish I've ever owned. Here's a pic of quick cure if you're gonna go with that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131128_172043.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	209766
Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

He got stressed out and thats when i caught him. Raise your temp to 86į F 2į each hour and add some aquarium salt, follow the manufacters instructions. Dont get marine salt, but the aquarium salt made by API. What size tank? And is it planted?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Currently running 1 table spoon to 100 litres of water. Tank size is 650 litres. Fish only tank. 1 14 inch jag and 1 10 inch jag. I'm going to do both:- chemical remedy and raise my dose of salt and raise temp. Thank u everyone for ur help and fast response. This is a classic parasite. I'll post a shot of the infestation and an update in a week or so. Once again.... My hat is off to everyone...thank u...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com