Sick Jaguar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Me and my husband have had a beautiful Jaguar Cichlid for almost 6 years (he was about 5 years old when we bought him) and for the past week hes been sick. Still has an appetite but has trouble swimming to his food. Orginally he looked almost like he was curling up his body, he seemed... crooked, we gave him Mela and Pimafix that night, a little bit of extra Aqua Plus and by the next morning he was floating on the top of the water, unable to swim down, curled up with his belly on the top of the water sideways. I wondered if it was swim bladder because it was what it reminded me of, so I rushed down to get some peas for him, which he had no problem eating at all and still is eating the peas no problem. But he didn't seem to improve. I talked to a lady I work with whos kept fish for years and she told me he needed a stronger antibiotic and it sounded like Mawai Bloat to her. She recommended I try Furan-2 and with him slowly getting worse I was willing to try anything to help him, so for the past 4 days I've been treating with Furan-2. He sunk to the bottom and now is sitting on the bottom of his tank, stright up and down, staring at his gravel with his tail bent over and can't seem to swim straight. I don't know what to do for him. I still have enough for two more days of Furan-2 treatments, and then I don't know if I should buy more, go back to the Melafix and Pimafix or if I'm fighting a losing battle. I've researched everywhere I can think of and just don't know where to look anymore, and hoped maybe you could help. I wish I could do something for him.
Hes in a 70 Gallon tank by himself (hes our first baby so as much as people tell us enough hiding spots he would get along with another fish, he seems happy to have the 70 to himself, and we never wanted him to have to share his toys lol) I tested his Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia and PH and all read normal, I do a 25% water change once a week, sometimes twice if I notice his levels are a little high, but for the most part just the once a week seems to keep everything clean and balanced. He has an Aqua Clear 110 Filter system and we change the Ammonia rocks, and Foam about once every month and a half (the Ammonia was changed about 3 weeks ago, and the Foam was about two) and the Carbon every month (that one is almost at the month mark).He also has a little bit of filter wool in his filter system as well. The only chemical we really use his Aqua Plus, but I do have a fresh bottle of Melafix and Pimafix in my fridge. If theres anything at all that I'm doing wrong, if theres anything I can do to help him at all, we'd love some advice. We just don't know what else to do anymore. :confused:

I have never had good luck with swim bladder meds. I would start by fasting the fish for 4-5 days(don't feed anything during this time) them try the deshelled frozen peas. Perform daily 25% water changes during the fasting. Good luck I hope he pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom