Sick peacock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there anything I can do to prevent this guy from dying? He's an aulonocara baenschi and for the first week that I had a large group of peacocks he was the dominant one. But that was two months ago and he has since become a recluse, seldom venturing out of the cave he hides in. I have never seen any of the now more dominant peacocks picking on him but he definitely lost his yellow color that he had gotten when he was king. He's only about 2 - 2.5" long, and has developed very bulgy eyes. Today he has been sitting on the sand in an unsettling way. :(

Attachments

• image-3712202696.jpg
    image-3712202696.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2948770940.jpg
    image-2948770940.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 72
How do you treat with Epsom salt? Would that be a problem for the other fish if his isolation box is in the same water as everyone else?

I don't think so. Go get 100% Epsom salt from walgreens it's like $2. Then dose a tablespoon per 5-10 gallons. I had a wild mikrogeophagus ramirezi with bad pop eye.

How do you treat with Epsom salt? Would that be a problem for the other fish if his isolation box is in the same water as everyone else?

There should not be other fish in his quarantine that would defeat the purpose, unless they are sick also.

I've been doing a bit of reading on Epsom salt in the tank - a Tbsp per 5-10g seems like a lot. Are you sure this will be okay with all the fish in there? Little shellies - pearly ocellatus? I even have a small group of just-hatched caudopunks in one corner of the tank.

I got up this morning, believe it or not after a fretful night sleep over the little bug-eyed bugger, to find him missing. Nowhere to be seen. So with hopes that he hasn't croaked already and is just hiding in one of the cracks or caves, I think I should dose the whole tank.

My mikrogeophagus ramirezi was fine when I dosed I also had bloodfin tetras and they were fine. Also rams are known for having a very low tolerance to salts and minerals and it was fine. Africans tolerance will be way higher

Ten gallon tank. Clean water. stable temp. Lightly feed.. Fish should recuperate on its own. Probably got snipped at by another fish.

Yeah. Wish I could find him. I put my arm in the tank and made some strong waves into the caves and tunnels.

Yeah. Wish I could find him. I put my arm in the tank and made some strong waves into the caves and tunnels.

Oops. Wasn't done with that post.

I'm thinking that if he was dead already he'd drift out from the movement. So I'm hopeful.

If I do get him out, how about a five gallon bucket with frequent water changes? I don't have another tank.

Back
Top Bottom