sick tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imaeattyerrbrains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I was away from home for a few days. My mom fed my fish, two oscars, a gold gourami, and blood parrot fish, I got home and they were all sick.! My two oscars wont come out of hiding, and my blood parrot fish is laying on the ground barely breathing. However, my gourami is perfectly fine. My mom fed them what I feed them. Gold cichlid pellets. But she also put some bottom sinker food for my other tank along with that. Im not sure how that would harm them though. Please help. I dont want them to die.

No. I just got my tank set up not too long ago. Ive never actually checked them because of the price. My uncle always had fish tanks and never checked his and they did perfectly fine. But if thats something needed for keeping fish tanks I will go buy one today. Which type should I get? Im all new to this.
Also, my fish are now swimming around more. But my two oscars go in a cave I have, and they seem to be rubbing past each other, and kind of vibrating in a way. They arent very big, could they be mating.? If not what does this sound like to you?

I would purchase a API master freshwater kit. They cost around $30 at your local store. This is essential to know your water chemisty to properly care for your fish.

Oscars are vibrating and tail slapping a young age is a sign of aggression. If their not hurting each other don't worry to much at this time. Oscars dont become sexually mature until 12-18 months which will put them around 9-11". Oscars are monomophic which means they are unable to be sexed.

I will do that. Thanks. I do have a lot of aggresion in my tank. My gouarmi, chases my albino oscar. My tiger oscar chases my gourami. My blood parrot fish and my tiger oscar lock lips all the time. And they are all young. Ive only had them for about a month. So im worried the older they get, the worse it will be. But as of right now none of them are harming each other.

imaeattyerrbrains said:
So, I was away from home for a few days. My mom fed my fish, two oscars, a gold gourami, and blood parrot fish, I got home and they were all sick.! My two oscars wont come out of hiding, and my blood parrot fish is laying on the ground barely breathing. However, my gourami is perfectly fine. My mom fed them what I feed them. Gold cichlid pellets. But she also put some bottom sinker food for my other tank along with that. Im not sure how that would harm them though. Please help. I dont want them to die.

Sounds like you've got high ammonia. A 50% water change will save your blood parrot.

I did a water change, and all pf the fish are great. Theyre in a 55gallon. I got them when they were very small, didnt realize theyd get big so quickly.

My guess-ammonia or other serious water issue. The gourami can breath air, while the others cannot. That being said- that's a pretty rough crowd there- what size tank is this?

Your going to have a decision in your hands here very quickly, start rehoming fish or upgrade to a 150g or larger. Your fish are feeling better after a water change probably due to your filtration not keeping up with the amount of waste. You still haven't let us know your water conditions. A 55g is barely big enough for one Oscar much less two plus all the others. For the fishes health and well being it's time to make that choice. Some LFS will take fish off your hands or craigslist is where is I sell my fish. Speaking of Craigslist it's a great place to find cheap tanks.

Back
Top Bottom