Silver, electric yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KBush

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I started my first cichlid tank 1 year ago. I have 6 electric yellows, 3 of them started out silver but 2 have changed to yellow. I still have one that is smaller then the rest and all silver. Is there a chance that he will change or is it going to be silver for good?

Thanks

Hey all, I started my first cichlid tank 1 year ago. I have 6 electric yellows, 3 of them started out silver but 2 have changed to yellow. I still have one that is smaller then the rest and all silver. Is there a chance that he will change or is it going to be silver for good?

Thanks

Well, Yellow Labs (I'm assuming this is what you mean by Electric Yellows) do start out quite colourless but when they reach the 1-1.5" range they will colour up.
Obviously some are more yellow than others but I've never seen a paler yellow than the inside of a lemon, perhaps..

Both male and female's are near identical with the males showing a little more black in the fins.

If the lil guy isn't colouring up it may be due to stress, is he getting pushed around and bullied by the other fish?
Does he spend his day hiding or floating up by the surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The little guy does not appeared stressed, I never see him getting bullied and he is right in the middle of the fray for food, and seems to be getting plenty. He does have a tiny tiny shimmer of yellow, but he also has faint vertical black stripes, which is causing me to question his breeding...

Back
Top Bottom