Single Cockatoo Cichlid (Apisto) in a Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon tank that is almost fully stocked (7 Cardinal Tetras, 7 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Rummynose Tetras, and 4 Sterbai Corys) and I'm looking for a single small cichlid to round my tank. Would a single Cockatoo work in a peaceful community tank that is moderately-to-heavily planted (one side is shaded with Hornwort) and has a couple of bog wood caves for hiding? My tank parameters are 77 F, pH 7.3-7.4, and ~3 dGH. I do 2 x 20% water changes per week and my nitrates are usually in the 8-15 ppm range.

You can definitely do a single apisto in your tank, although you'll see more natural behavior if there was some female company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little concerned about putting a potential breeding pair in there. I have several bottom dewllers (Rummys and corys) and 29 gallon tanks are only 30" x 12" in bottom surface area. Territory could be an issue.

I'm also considering Bolivian Rams, but my LFS doesn't carry them and they're not sure if their suppliers do either. The Bolivians at the local Petsmart are faded and look unhappy.

Cacatuoides aren't as rough on cories as a species like panduro. At the worst they just chase them out of the spawning area and if you're not interested in raising fry, the tetras you have are accomplished fry predators.

Cacatuoides aren't as rough on cories as a species like panduro. At the worst they just chase them out of the spawning area and if you're not interested in raising fry, the tetras you have are accomplished fry predators.

True story, mine chase them but hardly ever make contact..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree. A pair (even if spawning) wouldn't pose a problem.

They are fiesty though, it's a whole new tank dynamic.. i said they rarely make contact but on a couple occasions I've seen some NFL caliber hits.

They are fiesty though, it's a whole new tank dynamic.. i said they rarely make contact but on a couple occasions I've seen some NFL caliber hits.

Yeah, but cories are an armored cat and mine always did fine, the bumps were usually just " No this is mine, you stay over there." Lol.

Yeah, but cories are an armored cat and mine always did fine, the bumps were usually just " No this is mine, you stay over there." Lol.

Also very true:)

Back
Top Bottom