Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Single oscar in a 90 gallon

The dimensions are 47" length 20" width and 26" height , i have a canister rated at 320 gallons per hour , if i can have more fish could i throw some firemouths in there ?
Thanks in advance !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Old 04-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The firemouth will probably die at some some point. Oscar will be totally fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What tank mates would you reccomend ?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many silver dollars with the oscar with that filtration ?

Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No tank mates, maybe a larger variety pleco?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have to partly disagree with Brookster. I do agree that firemouths or silver dollars would be a bad idea. I also agree that a single pleco would do well, provided it isn't a common or sailfin pleco, or any type that grows as large as they do. IMO however, you could add one more oscar, or a couple Jack Dempseys, and be fine as long as you keep up on your maintenance schedule.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecibella123 View Post
I have to partly disagree with Brookster. I do agree that firemouths or silver dollars would be a bad idea. I also agree that a single pleco would do well, provided it isn't a common or sailfin pleco, or any type that grows as large as they do. IMO however, you could add one more oscar, or a couple Jack Dempseys, and be fine as long as you keep up on your maintenance schedule.
This is a recipe for HITH. A 90 with a full grown un stunted Oscar will need at least 2 50% water changes a week to keep nitrates under control. Let them hover over 40 for to long and health issues will happen. Add a second fish and upkeep will become daily.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Funny how i see many posts that having silver dollars with oscars is the perfect tankmates but now im so confused , people also say that a mininum of 55 gallons will hold a full grown oscar but some say that is wrong, me also , i thought having a couple of silver dollars in there wouldnt have such a big impact on nitrates ? Guess i am wrong, i do want an oscar but having only 1 oscar in that tank will leave it so empty imo

Old 04-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

People say alot of things. People say that Sds eat oscar poo therefor minimizing burden of tank maintenance. Few people.around here that have actually kept and grown an oscar to its full potential would have you believing that a single.oscar in a 90 gallon tank is a responsible decision. A decision that will allow you to enjoy the tank without constantly battling parameters. If you want more action than get different fish. Lots of cool sa/ca cichlids out there that get to a decent size. Geophagus (earth eaters) are pretty nifty.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidthinker View Post
Funny how i see many posts that having silver dollars with oscars is the perfect tankmates but now im so confused , people also say that a mininum of 55 gallons will hold a full grown oscar but some say that is wrong, me also , i thought having a couple of silver dollars in there wouldnt have such a big impact on nitrates ? Guess i am wrong, i do want an oscar but having only 1 oscar in that tank will leave it so empty imo

Give it a try. Just test often as the O grows and remove the SD if needed. The one thing you cant test for is growth inhibiting hormones. This is where the frequent water changes come in so you don't stunt him.

Tags
90 gallon, gallon, oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com