Slate Rocks and My Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I having been having this issue with my slate rocks recently, that I don't know if it's good or bad, so I decided to ask here. My slate rocks have been growing what looks to be moss but I am not sure, I just know that it looks like small white hairs. My test are perfect, I never overfeed my african cichlids, the tank isn't by a window or any bright light (Except the hood light). The fish look fine and I do a weekly tank clean where I gravel vac and clean the slates themselves. If this is a serious issue I would like to know the best way to fix it because while my cichlids aren't looking to have ill effects from it, I'm not a cichlid in that tank so I wouldn't know. Thank you.

I community tank that had a problem with stubborn tufts of black hairs on my decor that positively would not come off even with a toothbrush. My Chinese Algae Eater found the tufts and took care of them fairly quickly. However, don't mix a CAE with African Cichlids. I wonder if a Bristlenose Pleco would help?

I wish I had a camera that can take a pic that close but I was talking to my cousin today who has had his tank for over 3 years now and he says that it is early stages of algae growing on the slates and that it's not a problem since some of the cichlids eat it.

Back
Top Bottom