Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Slowly loosing fish

Hey guys. I'm slowly loosing fish one by one. I just lost another one yesterday. The tank is clear. All the fish seem healthy then one gets sick and dies within 2-3 days after. There is plenty of air good filtration rocks and homes for all. 75 gallon tank. One of my fish actually almost had fry but swallowed them at the last few days. once I see a fish sick I try to get them out into medication tank. Big tank is treated with api aquarium salt and i started using stress zyme. My nitrates were a little high. Towards the 40pp range but for almost 2 weeks now I have been changing the water every day about 20-25 gallons. I missed 2 days in a 2 and a half weeks period I think. The floor is black sand and it's from an old tank setup. I'm trying to get it out soon waiting for a sifter. On top of the sand is the white dolomite. I feed the fish 3-5 times a day. The eat omega one small pellets for cichlids and tetra min flakes every feeding except the last feeding is frozen brine shrimp. There is one plecka algea eater in the tank doing fine. He's smaller than all the cichlids. In a few weeks maybe 4 or 5, I have had 3 fish get sick. The first one was the only one to make it and was treated with the api salt and some melafix. The other two were also but died almost immediately after transition to the media tank. Which was a fresh 5 gal bucket at the time. Now the first one is back in big tank doing well. Almost all her fins back. Just missing a small portion of her tail now.

Anyone have some advice or watch I should do. The tanks been set up almost a year. Fish are all the same from the first few weeks.

Also I now have a liquid test kit. I test once a week although wasn't sure how accurate it would be cuz of so many frequent water changes. Should I keep changing the water should I do anything else? Help!!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

75 gallon cichlid tank?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #3

Yes 75 gallon
Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsheeler View Post
Yes 75 gallon
Are they showing signs of anything? Clamped fins, mouth rot, fin rot?

40ppm of nitrAtes isn't that bad. How's your pH?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #5

No everyone seems to look healthy a little tear here or there in the fins but they seem to heal pretty quick so I feel like that's from other fish or rocks or something else. The ones that are get sick however look like they are decaying while alive. Their fins start to breakdown and their scales are grayed in some places. Idk if it grows on their what. But as of right now they all look good. Except the one that just died looked healthy this past weekend so I'm stumped. I will check pH in the morning again but it was in the good range. If I change water every day about 20-25 gallons will this affect the tests?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsheeler View Post
No everyone seems to look healthy a little tear here or there in the fins but they seem to heal pretty quick so I feel like that's from other fish or rocks or something else. The ones that are get sick however look like they are decaying while alive. Their fins start to breakdown and their scales are grayed in some places. Idk if it grows on their what. But as of right now they all look good. Except the one that just died looked healthy this past weekend so I'm stumped. I will check pH in the morning again but it was in the good range. If I change water every day about 20-25 gallons will this affect the tests?
I wouldn't change the water everyday. We're not sure what were really dealing with yet. You mentioned "decaying" does it look like open sores? The best way to put it is... Does it look the the flesh eating disease?

Also you said your treating the tank with meds? If so you don't want to keep doing water changes. Also make sure your not running carbon when treating the tank with meds.

It could be a parasite or bacterial. Maybe even a hyper dominate fish. Any big guys or overly aggressive ones in the tank? So the fish seem to stay in one spot leaving the rest of tank for certain tough guy? I had a hyper dominate male that killed 20 fish at night for like a week before I figured him out and re homed him to my LFS where he's not so tough anymore.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

3-5 feedings a day seems a bit much. You also give them frozen brine shrimp every day? Stick to just the omega pellets, and flakes. I feed my mbunas once a day and they are looking good. Don't let the fish convince you they are hungry and need to eat ASAP.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbox View Post
3-5 feedings a day seems a bit much. You also give them frozen brine shrimp every day? Stick to just the omega pellets, and flakes. I feed my mbunas once a day and they are looking good. Don't let the fish convince you they are hungry and need to eat ASAP.
Was just gonna touch on this next. Once every day is fine. I feed my guys NLS sinking pellets every day.

Also fish acting hungry is a good sign. That means there healthy. If you walk by the tank and there just there and pay no mind is when I'd be carefully looking over my tank.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #9

Wow really feed them once a day ok cool that will save on food. Thanks for the tip. As far as meds... I give them appropriate amount of api aquarium salt and I added some stresszyme to the tank I think on Wednesday. Okay I will slow down water changes. Someone told me to change water every day for a week on here. And I don't have any super aggressively acting fish. I did but that was about 5 months ago. A rusty colored cichlid that was 5 bucks killed over 100$ of my fish . And yeah on the most recent fish that died it did look like a flesh eating disease kinda. But he was the only one of the 3 that got sick. And he died 3 days after I noticed him not eating and hanging out. But no open sores or anything. Just his scales looked like they were decaying or disappearing on his sides and top of his head. Fins were a little beat up but not gone and no one was bothering him in the tank at all.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah nix the frozen brine shrimp altogether too. What's in your aquarium right now? Gotta pic of these fatties

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com