small american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
anyone know of some good american cichlids for a 40 gallon? just looking through all my options before i finalize my fish decision

they dont stay exactly small but you could house a pair of convicts in there.
very interesting fish.

-Dan

im talking the dwarf american cichlids like the ones taht stay between 4 and 6 inches

Any of the Apistogramma, Microgeophagus, Dicrossus or Nannacara species would do just fine in that tank. This gives you quite an array to choose from, though the Dicrossus and Nannacara might be difficult to find for sale.

My favorite dwarf cichlid from South America is the Laetacara curviceps (aka Dwarf Acara). This is a beautiful fish that reminds me a lot of a Discus but is easier to care for and is very well behaved. You could probably keep two pair and some other fish like Tetras in a 40 gal tank. Check out Laetacara curviciceps here:

http://species.fishindex.com/species_107laetacara_curviceps_flag_acara.html

A harem of any species of apistos would be great for that tank, it's a large enough tank that they'd breed and raise the fry on their own. You could add a small school of tetras for dither fish and a few otos.

This is only a 15 gallon, a 40 gallons would look brilliant.

wow looks like i ahve some options to look through, im thinking maybe a small school of tetras with some smaller american cichlids.

Rams are cool also aspitos and keyholes the dwarf acara and redbreast acara All smaller cichlids that come to mind

Search small American cichlids sometime there's stuff all in my feed so u have to go looking lol

Back
Top Bottom