small cichilids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
that are hardy like Bolivian rams but more colorful looking to stock a 20 gallon I see a lot of cichilids at my lfs but I want one that's peaceful I plan on putting it in a 20 gallon with a dwarf gourami and school of rasboras

Well there are German Blue Rams, more colorful some say there touchy but as long as u got an established tank you should be fine

A single cichlid or a pair? I have several proven pairs of cutteri and a handful of smaller juvies available. Pretty mellow cichlids, not brightly colored but show very nicely with the right lighting. A pair would actually be fine in a 20 long with your other fish, but they spawn regularly and would quickly overcrowd the tank with growing fry.

i looked at apistogramma cichilids theres like a lot of them lol.... but when i go to the lfs none are labled apisto. ------ whatever etc

I really like the Apistogrammas Rubrolineata

Web site called dwarfcichlid.com.

Has a nice list.

Well.. as far as I know, you can't get Apisto's at the big chain stores like Petco, Petsmart, etc. You will need a LFS to order them or stock them.

^ good luck with that in chicago :) it's actually pretty hard to find a good fish store. Everything that sells cichlids it's usually all african and just a couple central or south american. Not really dwarf cichlids. Only larger growing fish. The Aquarium Adventure in bolingbrook has the largest variety of fish that I've seen in the chicago area but the quality isn't the greatest.

Look up apisto cacatuoides they are alot hardier than gbr and have what I think some of the best coloring. I have a pair in a 25h they do great with my pleco neons and blackskirt tetras. Just an idea.

^ good luck with that in chicago :) it's actually pretty hard to find a good fish store. Everything that sells cichlids it's usually all african and just a couple central or south american. Not really dwarf cichlids. Only larger growing fish. The Aquarium Adventure in bolingbrook has the largest variety of fish that I've seen in the chicago area but the quality isn't the greatest.

Acer,
Lol yea not many Chicago fish stores. Well I'm sure there are but I haven't had many recommendtions to where to go except to Scotts pets store or fish store I can't Remb exact name. I think its on rte 34 in western springs or hinsdale or over that way. I have heard since they moved it to that location from westchester that it has gone down hill since then.

Also I have heard of a place called aqua-tropics in Lombard. Haven't gone there yet so don't know how it is. Their web page is not very informative lol.

Other than that I live like ten min away from aquarium adventure and I agree with you nice selection but quality doesnt seem very good.

I figured I would go to shows or online to get what I wanted and also get those pairs from you (your for sale post) lol or from other local breeders or folks selling their fish. :cool:

You should look into Lake Tanganyika cichlids.. they're not as colorful, but they are so interesting to watch and they stay small. Especially the shell dwellers. I like watching my shellies so much I have 3 different species and I'm looking for a 4th.

CalvusAtx said:
You should look into Lake Tanganyika cichlids.. they're not as colorful, but they are so interesting to watch and they stay small. Especially the shell dwellers. I like watching my shellies so much I have 3 different species and I'm looking for a 4th.

I think she wants community tank cichlids...

Back
Top Bottom