Small Cichlid Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so my 20 gallon tank has been unoccupied since Feb., and I think its time to get some fish in there.
I'm thinking cichlids.

Before anybody rants off saying "20 gallons is too small for cichlids!", I agree, and I understand. However, I do have at hand, the power of the internet.

The internet suggests I could get away with a pair of convict cichlids. True, false?
I've also been thinking maybe a pair of angels. I have read, and know that angelfish get tall- very tall. Turns out my tank is a 20 gallon tall, not long. Suggestions?

I would defintely like to get a cichlid of some sorts. If what I recommended isn't plausible,what is?
Also keep in mind I'd like to have an algae buffer- a fish to assist in the removal of algae. I was thinking in the case of angelfish, 2-3 ottos, since I know from experience that they are fast little buggers. In the case of any other cichlid, I honestly have no clue. I'd assume any sort of bigger pleco?

Ok, so my 20 gallon tank has been unoccupied since Feb., and I think its time to get some fish in there.
I'm thinking cichlids.

Before anybody rants off saying "20 gallons is too small for cichlids!", I agree, and I understand. However, I do have at hand, the power of the internet.

The internet suggests I could get away with a pair of convict cichlids. True, false?
I've also been thinking maybe a pair of angels. I have read, and know that angelfish get tall- very tall. Turns out my tank is a 20 gallon tall, not long. Suggestions?

I would defintely like to get a cichlid of some sorts. If what I recommended isn't plausible,what is?
Also keep in mind I'd like to have an algae buffer- a fish to assist in the removal of algae. I was thinking in the case of angelfish, 2-3 ottos, since I know from experience that they are fast little buggers. In the case of any other cichlid, I honestly have no clue. I'd assume any sort of bigger pleco?

Ok i think that whole 20g is to small is not true.. Yes it has it pros and cons but anything you do in hobbies have that... Depends on effort you put into your tanks i have 6 african cichlids 1-2 in and a syph . Cat fish and a syph been running it for year and 5 months and all fish good.. Just keep fish same size n feed 2-3 times. You may not get full color cuz the compact of tank but my tank been a success with survival and color good luck

Check out kribensis or apistogramma there both awesome cichlids that can handle a 20 and can get along with other fish well the kribensis can get a little aggressive during spawning though.

Apistogramma
Pelvicachromis (p. pulcher is known as a kribensis cichlid)
Ivannavara
Taeniacara
Dicrossus (aka checkerboard cichlids, personal favorite)
Laetacara (aka smiling acaras)
Biotecus
Mikrogeophagus (AKA rams)
Neolamprologus
Lamprologus

Mind you, not all species of each of these genera will work, but they are all considered dwarf genera. The last two are shell dwellers (not all species but several of them). They will need the tank to themselves but exhibit extremely interesting behavior.

I'd do a pair of Cryptoheros such as nanoluteus or chetumalensis, heck who am I kidding any crypt would be awesome.

Any thoughts on the angelfish? There's not too many cichlids in my area, so either I'd have to go to a larger centre, or special order. Lots of angelfishes though.

Typically, breeding pairs of angels are kept in a 20, and the general rule of thumb for angels is 1 per 10 gallons. Not all angels reach a large size, for various reasons including genetics. As already mentioned, there are numerous small cichlids that would be fine in a 20.

Go with the angels.. Just don't put more than one or two. As far as tankmates, maybe 2-3 Cory but not much else.

You may be able to wiggle by space wise with two angels in a twenty but as they mature territory wise that may change. Not much else would be able to go with a breeding pair of angels.

Shell dwellers, another cichlid, would be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom