Small dwarf cichlid that do well in community tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some species of dwarf cichlid that do well in community tanks, that are friendly peaceful fish?

Okay then GBRs, Bolivians, Shellies, apistos are a few to name. Hopefully others will also comment as well!

Now how do you feel about this stocking idea.
1-dwarf gourami
1-GBR
4-peppered cory
6- rosy barbs ( or black neon tetra, or celestial pearl danios )

I have a 20 gallon tank, 24 in long 12 high 16 deep, marineland penguin 200 filter(for 50 gallon tank), fluval heater

i plan to have it pretty well planted in the tank. and lots of hiding spots

brittanykluss said:
Now how do you feel about this stocking idea.
1-dwarf gourami
1-GBR
4-peppered cory
6- rosy barbs ( or black neon tetra, or celestial pearl danios )

I have a 20 gallon tank, 24 in long 12 high 16 deep, marineland penguin 200 filter(for 50 gallon tank), fluval heater

i plan to have it pretty well planted in the tank. and lots of hiding spots

I'm not sure on the GBR and dwarf gourami together, I've never tried that... As for the cories try getting one that doesn't get as big and get 6 of those such as juliis, pandas or dwarfs(you could have 8 of those in there!)

Ive read on a light of websites that the gourami and the gbr, or even a bolivian would be fine together. I did a little research.

are peppered corys too big?

brittanykluss said:
Ive read on a light of websites that the gourami and the gbr, or even a bolivian would be fine together. I did a little research.

are peppered corys too big?

IME my GBRs and DGs ignore each other.

I don't believe so.

I've just never had a GBR to have experience, but I do have cories and I would give them a bigger space and more of them because they are a schooling fish and therefore I think they should have to follow the 6+ guideline. I would really look into some other types, but if peppered ones are what you want and what you have available they would be okay.

I've just never had a GBR to have experience, but I do have cories and I would give them a bigger space and more of them because they are a schooling fish and therefore I think they should have to follow the 6+ guideline. I would really look into some other types, but if peppered ones are what you want and what you have available they would be okay.

Nope I dont really care :] i think ill get pandas like you suggested so i can get 6

20 high or 20 long? - oh never mind, you have a 20 high, which when stocking cichlids is pretty much equal to a 15.

Curviceps are very docile (usually) However, a 20 high is a wee bit small for most dwarf cichlids - a 20 long is better (it's all about the footprint). Bolivian rams can also be pretty tame. "normal" rams such as GBRs are quite docile usually, but really like hotter water. Most apistos also dig water on the warm side.

Rosy barbs get a bit large for a 20 high - not so much that they get big, but they swim swim swim. I like the idea of a dwarf G and black neons though. Like AK said, the cories really like to be in a school. You could try a DG, about 12 black neons, and a GBR and keep the temp around 78 and see how everyone does. (DGs dig it hot too, I've kept black neons with apistos at 84 and they were cool with it, the oversized filter you have should keep the water aerated fairly well, but an air driven sponge or corner box filter couldn't hurt at higher temps). That way you'll have all 3 zones covered. Black neons really don't put a huge load on a tank - I've kept around 30 or so in a 33 long with 6 or so apistos, the black neons are a lot happier the more there are.

20 high or 20 long? - oh never mind, you have a 20 high, which when stocking cichlids is pretty much equal to a 15.

Curviceps are very docile (usually) However, a 20 high is a wee bit small for most dwarf cichlids - a 20 long is better (it's all about the footprint). Bolivian rams can also be pretty tame. "normal" rams such as GBRs are quite docile usually, but really like hotter water. Most apistos also dig water on the warm side.

Rosy barbs get a bit large for a 20 high - not so much that they get big, but they swim swim swim. I like the idea of a dwarf G and black neons though. Like AK said, the cories really like to be in a school. You could try a DG, about 12 black neons, and a GBR and keep the temp around 78 and see how everyone does. (DGs dig it hot too, I've kept black neons with apistos at 84 and they were cool with it, the oversized filter you have should keep the water aerated fairly well, but an air driven sponge or corner box filter couldn't hurt at higher temps). That way you'll have all 3 zones covered. Black neons really don't put a huge load on a tank - I've kept around 30 or so in a 33 long with 6 or so apistos, the black neons are a lot happier the more there are.

I just returned my Marineland Penguin 200 for 50 gallons for Aqua Clear Power Filter 30-70. I heard it was better? Is this true? I think Ill go for the Black neons they are smaller and i feel like theyll do better.

I would have gone for the AC 50, but that's just me. You'll be fine with the AC 30.

Black neons are great in a 20, and they are highly underrated IMO (especially as adults).

I got this AquaClear 50 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 50 Carbon, AquaClear 50 Foam & AquaClear 50 BioMax
Hagen

Dwarf Butterfly Cichlid was not mentioned, and is worth mentioning

I have had my GBR's for a while now and they are doing great....I soooo want them to have babies! They are awesome fish

I got this AquaClear 50 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 50 Carbon, AquaClear 50 Foam & AquaClear 50 BioMax
Hagen
good filter. Don't use the carbon (it's not bad as such, but it's really for sticking in when you need to remove medications and such). No rush, but grab an extra replacement foam insert for it and put it where the carbon would go - gives you more room for bacteria to grow. Also - don't replace the filter media like they tell you to in the instructions (and probably at the store). Just rinse it out in old tank water when you do water changes. I've had Aquaclear foam media for 15 years (as in the same foam block!)

Ivanmike, I've seen you say several times that we should put foam in place of the filter media, what exactly is the filter media? In my filter I've got the black scrubber pad lookin stuff and the white pouch that the carbon goes into. Then on my other filters, I've got the biowheel and the carbon pads. Im assuming you mean take out the carbon? But don't you need the carbon to filter out the ickies?? (I know, I'm very technical lol)

Back
Top Bottom