Small fish, big personality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinKScott

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to have a fish tank near/on my desk at work, and I'm looking for some cichlid suggestions.

I want a fish with a big aggressive 'alpha' personality, who can recognize me and beg for food, and who can live in 'the smallest tank possible'. The tank will be purchased for the ONE (or pair if needed) fish.

I'm a recovering discus addict (not really recovering; I still have 10 adults)... So although I can handle the complex fish, a hardier fish for the office is preferable. I can not keep a fish that requires greater than 40g.

Jks

We need to know the size of the tank in order or answer. :)

I need to know the fish before I can choose a tank. Smaller is better; under 40g.

I need to stay smaller than 40g

Which cichlids require the least amount of space?

Edit: if you'd prefer, I can ask the question backwards:

Question 1: If I buy a 5g tank, which cichlids can survive?
Question 2: If I buy a 10g tank, which cichlids can survive?
Question 3: If I buy a 20g tank, which cichlids can survive?
Question 4: If I buy a 30g tank, which cichlids can survive?
Question 5: If I buy a 40g tank, which cichlids can survive?

This will be a species tank, there will be no other fish in there.

Most fish with personalities tend to be larger Cichlids so generally need tanks of at least 55gallon in size. A lot of people will probably say Oscars have the most personality of all the Cichlids but they need at least 75 gallons.

There maybe some smaller Cichlids that have personality but I don't really know of any.

Honestly. Small Cichlids have just as much personality.

If you get a 10g, you can get some Multies (Shell Dwelling Cichlids). You can probably maintain a male with some females easy in that.

If you go 20g, get some Apistogramma. Beautiful little Cichlids with great personality. Of recommend those :) I love my Apistos.

30g-40g tank with a Cichlasoma grammodes aka mini-dovii. It is a slow grower, maybe an 1" a year.

30g-40g tank with a Cichlasoma grammodes aka mini-dovii. It is a slow grower, maybe an 1" a year.

That's not entirely true, mine is growing at roughly 1/4" a month. And it's a female. I got her back in June or July and she's at 4". But yes for some time the gramm would be ok in a 40g. Mines in a 55 I doubt she will ever out grow that tank.

In one of the smaller tanks you could even do a female convict or fire mouth as a single fish tank.

I would say German blue rams they are full of personality and mine behaved almost like an Oscar, if it was me I would do a male and 2 females in a 20g low tech planted with a decent filter and some shrimp to add more movement and help clean up excess food.

I have a pair of GBR. The female is only 1.5", they are young.
They come to the glass to greet me whenever I am nearby. I have only had them about a week!
Last night when I moved a plant, she followed my hand like a puppy. Nibbling on it and wondering what I was doing.
I have never had an apistogramma. They are gorgeous.

I have Bolivian rams in my 29 gallon. They aren't the 'big aggressive' fish your looking for. But both of mine follow me around the tank and beg for food. If your looking at a 5-10 gallon, just throwing this out there, get a male betta. Once again, not the 'big aggressive' fish your looking for, but as far as attitude, they defiantly have it!!

I picked up a pair if apistos; the darn fish are so active it's distracting!!

I'll give them a few day then swap out for a single firemouth or Jack.

I would reccommend convicts. They're very hardy, very active, and full of personality!!! They spawn easily and are always fun to watch :)

Back
Top Bottom