Small Fish with Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are there any small, schooling fish that can survive in a cichlid tank? I have a variety of fish in there that all seem to work together fine. (Cichlids, gouramis, clown loaches, rainbowfish, etc.) I had a large school of tiger barbs, but they disappeared one by one til they were gone. Is there anything that will work? Or maybe I need more rocks for hiding? Thanks for any advice.

Not neon tetras, learned that last week lol. I had them since July and one day had 4 skulls laying in the sand

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sure, lots of small fish can survive in a cichlid tank. I have 20 glowlight tetras in with my Ram cichlids.

I'm pretty sure you aren't talking about a ram cichlid or dwarf cichlid tank, but in absence of any other information (Tank size, exact stocking including the specific kinds of cichlids, etc) it's really difficult to say what will and won't work. "Cichlidae" is a massive group of very diverse fish.

Good point.lol Nope, not rams. I have a tiger oscar, convict, jack dempsey, king kamfa flowerhorn, and a little yellow guy. They're all still relatively small, ranging from 3" to 5" long.

I have a tiger oscar

There's your answer right there- nope. I didn't really have to read much further than that. Oscars like to eat little fish.

Also, you must have one heck of a HUGE tank to have all those fish, plus clown loaches, rainbows, and gouramis....

Actually, be really careful with the clown loaches. I don't know how big they are, but they are VERY slow growing and if they are small the Oscar will easily get big enough to eat them. And he might try it, and get his insides shredded by the spine that clown loaches have under their eyes... or the loach might just get lodged in his throat. I've heard of both happening.

Good point.lol Nope, not rams. I have a tiger oscar, convict, jack dempsey, king kamfa flowerhorn, and a little yellow guy. They're all still relatively small, ranging from 3" to 5" long.

with this stock in the end you will most likely only have a flowerhorn.

i disagree I say the convict will last the longest then the jack
I have seen some pretty small convicts kill full grow Oscars
I have had Africans last a while with convicts but little else except jewel fish ( I know they come from Africa )

Back
Top Bottom