Small frontosa colony in 200 gallon tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macdaddydaze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will this work and how many can I fit ? Is there a chance for a large enough colony to breed? The tank looks tiny in the picture but I promise is huge

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396593864880.jpg
    1396593864880.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 213
I think if they're going alone you could put 5 or 6 in there. I havent kept fronts. Before but I have heard they need to be in groups so atleast a 125g is needed. I think 5-6.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is that enough for a breeding colony and do you know their growth rate

1:4 make female ratio?

They don't get 4 feet?

Frontosa do not get 4 foot. Im pretty sure they get about 11-12" but definitely not 4 feet. I'm not even sure that there's a cichlid that reaches that size....

Emporer Cichlid maybe frontosa will reach 15" max

No it probly want work they 4 feet each

Best thing I've read on here in a while, thanks for that laugh!

Most fronts max out around 14-16" when male, and smaller when female. A 200 gallon (given that is is a longer tank) can support a small colony, but only 1 male as they can be territorial. 4 females would probably work fine. Make sure to include rock work or PVC pipes large enough for them to fit into. Also, I would keep it as a species only tank, no haps, no mbuna, no peacocks, no other tangs (you could possibly do a pair of ADULT altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps, but starting with babies is risky due to just how slow they grow). Why risk having a front attempt to swallow one and possibly injure or kill itself, as they are predatory fish in nature. To my understanding, they are extremely slow growers, much like altolamprologus species (although these take the cake for slow growth). Take your time if going down this path, scout out every shred of information out there, and choose the right variant/collection point. Better to get it right the first time then to stumble through it ;)

Yeah that's the thing that sucks man is how slow they grow how can I sex frontosa

Okay thanks

Sry that was my friend he thinks he nos everything about cichlid they get a max of 14 in

Haha it's fine and I have a 300 gallon @StatenislandCichlids but I can't ever find emperor Cichlids in my area

Either haha

Back
Top Bottom