Small South american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilkes

Aquarium Advice Freak
HI there can anybody suggest some small south American cichlids as this isn't my fish keeping background. Just looking for suggestions as the aquatic shops around don't have the widest selections available...
Look forward to hearing your suggestions

Welcome to AA glad you joined us but what tank size are we looking at??? Most of S. American species get big.

German blue rams(don't get these if you are a beginner as they need pristine water conditions)
Bolivian rams
Cockatoo cichlids
Other apistogramma species

*Edit* Welcome to AA

Thanks for the reply, yeah I appreciate that but I'm aware there are dwarfs species. I've kept the larger cichlids such as oscars for years but don't have the space for such a tank at the moment. Size of tank is yet to be decided hence looking for smaller fish

If u want to continue with dis amazing oscars just upgrade ur tank to atleast 100 plus gallon. Otherwise choose some small cichlids to keep.wats ur present tank size?

Yeah that's what I'm after suggestions for dwarf american cichlids

welcome to AA. im pretty sure kribensis are S.A. and they only grow to a few inches, i think they can go in a 20(but 2 at max or so)

Hi Alex thanks for the reply the originate from Nigeria. Gonna take trip to the aquatic shop today see what selection they have. Thanks

Welcome to AA! :)

Apistogramma, german or bolivian rams, laetecara, nannacara, are most of the "dwarfs". There are many others that stay under 6" that can be considered "smaller" in larger tanks.

Kribensis are African riverine fish, but would do well in similar conditions to those listed above.

Disappointing selection of fish only purchases were more stones and novo tabs... I bet you have a great selection in America

Firemouths get to 4" or something. Fairly peaceful. Checkerboards are s.a I think

I quite like the look of the German blue rams and other rams etc also kribs however I want to try keep it as south american.

Firemouths get to 4" or something. Fairly peaceful. Checkerboards are s.a I think

Yes, Dicrossus and Crenicara are from South America, the most common being D. filamentosa, but D. maculatus is popping up everywhere and the pricetag is getting smaller( if you can find them there is also sp. Tapajos, sp. Rio Negro and gladicauda). The Crenicara on the other hand haven't been going around too much in the last 20 years so they take a bit of looking to find. If you like checkerboards and aren't interested in breeding try a group of filamentosa males, they will school together and look sweet with a school of cardinal tetras swimming overhead.

Thank you for the replies hopefully if I have time tonight I'll try and visit a larger shop.

I am. North London to be precise. Bought two beautiful rams today, their colour doesn't seem to be as vibrant as it was in the aquatic shop could this be due to the lighting?

They'll need time to settle in and adjust to the new tank. Lighting, mood, substrate color, even temperature can affect the color/s of the fish. Ram's prefer warmer water than most species.

Back
Top Bottom