Snails, shrimp, lobsters, ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmedic25

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any good bottom feeders that stir sand and eat poo that would survive in a malawi tank?....I dont know any....need some suggestions

Niki said:
I don't think there is any bottom feeder that will eat/clean up poo....

And I believe there is a type o snail that will move the sand, someone with more knowledge should know which type of snail I am thinking of

I've heard of electric blue crayfish being kept with cichlids

Malaysian trumpet snails help with stirring the substrate. You can normally get them for free from petstores, so no worries if your fish eat them.

Jmedic25 said:
My cichlids are small.. Id actually be worried the crayfish would kill some

Cichlids are very fast the only ones the crayfish would get would be hurt or sick fish

Cool...how many would I need for a 75 gallon tank. Also I read that they are known to climb out. I have a skimmer box and sump system, also a HOB. While 90% of the tank is covered in glass, the very back is open. He could also climb out of the stupid fluval heater I bought. Its not submersible. I hate it

I would not put a crayfish in a tank with any fish that you are attached to. They grow quite large and are opportunistic feeders and will catch anything they can eat and I can guarantee they will catch your fish.

The best thing to eat fish poop and stir the sand is your gravel vac when you do your weekly PWC.

Mogurako said:
I would not put a crayfish in a tank with any fish that you are attached to. They grow quite large and are opportunistic feeders and will catch anything they can eat and I can guarantee they will catch your fish.

The best thing to eat fish poop and stir the sand is your gravel vac when you do your weekly PWC.

haha.. yeah i have an EBL in my affy tank & i gotta say i've noticed him trying to snag fish that swim in his cave lately.. & i keep him well fed so its def a risk no matter what

PLUS, most try to get out & are successful if the tank isnt sealed completely.. mine is just too dumb to try it i guess :)

he's getting the boot once i find someone to take him from me so i recommend not even bothering w/ em.. especially when they're like 30 bucks!!

Back
Top Bottom