So many opinions, need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I started a African Cichlid tank, I have a variety of Mbuna's and some peacocks. I'm being told by a few friends 3 different things. And there not saying I need all of these there saying at least one I should add...

Tank stats. 55g Bowfront

1.) I should add a second filter or get a bigger one. I already have a penguin 350.

2.) I should add a air stone in the middle or right side(that's the side without a filter)

3.) I should get a power head for the side without the filter.

What's your thoughts.

View attachment 60837

I was told by others there's no need and don't waste my money.

Last edited:
Ideally you want your water to run through a filter 10X an hour. If your filter doesn't provide enough then yes, add more filtration.
Air stones are great for surface agitation. I had a filter running on one side of my tank and noticed what looked like an oil slick on the top if my water. Turns out it was caused by not enough surface agitation. The more the water is disrupted the more water/oxygen exchange will happen, and you def want that! So I would recommend an air stone.
Power heads I know nothing about. I got one with a tank I bought but never used it.
Hope this helps :-D

Lady_Alia said:
Ideally you want your water to run through a filter 10X an hour. If your filter doesn't provide enough then yes, add more filtration.
Air stones are great for surface agitation. I had a filter running on one side of my tank and noticed what looked like an oil slick on the top if my water. Turns out it was caused by not enough surface agitation. The more the water is disrupted the more water/oxygen exchange will happen, and you def want that! So I would recommend an air stone.
Power heads I know nothing about. I got one with a tank I bought but never used it.
Hope this helps :-D

Thanks for the reply. So maybe an air stone on the right side where there's no filter. I had convicts before in the same tank and didn't use anything but the filter. Now I put Africans in and a lot of my friends are chiming in.

View attachment 60860

View attachment 60861

Last edited:
A lot of folks run these cichlid tanks with 10x filtration per hour or more.

Second thing to know is that the specs on a filter are generally marketing hype and the real turnover rate through them is lower.

I'm running 2 Aquaclear 70's on the 55 mbuna I am setting up and am thinking about a canister in addition once things get cooking.

OasisKeeper said:
A lot of folks run these cichlid tanks with 10x filtration per hour or more.

Second thing to know is that the specs on a filter are generally marketing hype and the real turnover rate through them is lower.

I'm running 2 Aquaclear 70's on the 55 mbuna I am setting up and am thinking about a canister in addition once things get cooking.

So I'm a newbie and don't know much. I have a 55g bow front. My filter "says" 350 GPH. I have no problem buying a bigger one if needed maybe the 400? Or Adding another filter to the other side. Air stone? I just don't know enough but will do what I have to do to ensure the health and safety of my fish so my wife,son and I can have many many of enjoyment.

EDIT:

Re read your post. So maybe add another filter to the right side and forget the air stone? It's gonna be one or the other and I think a filter will more beneficial than a air stone to make some bubbles.

If you add a HOB get an AquaClear 110.

I would definitely add an air stone, they create a lot of flow and aeration (and could save the whole tank if the filter ever stops, which happens).

IME combining mbunas and peacocks, especially in such a small tank, is not going to turn out well. It is hard enough to do just mbunas in such a small tank, but to add the less aggressive peacocks is effectively guaranteeing that the peacocks will never settle in well. They just are not as aggressive and do not naturally mix with the mbunas.

Fishguy2727 said:
If you add a HOB get an AquaClear 110.

I would definitely add an air stone, they create a lot of flow and aeration (and could save the whole tank if the filter ever stops, which happens).

IME combining mbunas and peacocks, especially in such a small tank, is not going to turn out well. It is hard enough to do just mbunas in such a small tank, but to add the less aggressive peacocks is effectively guaranteeing that the peacocks will never settle in well. They just are not as aggressive and do not naturally mix with the mbunas.

Ok I hear ya on the "fish mix" my buddy owns a shop and just threw all them in different bags. If need be I'll will return them.

So a filter and air stone are recommended? I'll go but a aqua clear 110 and add an air stone. Question on air stone. Had one about 4 months ago for a different tank. Do they a QUIET one? The one I had I wanted to throw it out the window!! The humming and vibrations were driving me absolutely CRAZY!! :(

I use Azoo 9500 air pumps, they run about $20 on drsfostersmith. The bubbles will make more noise than that air pump will.

Whatever pump you get can make noise if it is up against something though. And get the biggest one from whatever type you choose.

Fishguy2727 said:
I use Azoo 9500 air pumps, they run about $20 on drsfostersmith. The bubbles will make more noise than that air pump will.

Whatever pump you get can make noise if it is up against something though. And get the biggest one from whatever type you choose.

Thanks for your help. I'll be buying a air stone, check valve and pump along with a other filter for the right side. This should help a lot right? I want nothing but the best for my finned friends!! Hopefully I'll find a good deal on craigslist and get a 72-75g bowfront!! :)

Just read up on the aquaclear 110. So that's in addition to my marine land 350?

That's not too much? All that and a air stone in a 55g?

As suggested in the title of this thread, opinions can vary. :cool:

I'm of the opinion that an additional filter is recommended but the addition of the airstone is optional or not required.

I've never used airstones in any of my african cichlid tanks and have never had issues because of that. I do have battery operated airtstone/pumps on hand in the event of an extended power loss (though I've been lucky over the last nearly 7 years never having to resort to using them).

HOB outflow's, particularly when two HOB filters are used, provide more than enough surface agitation to adequately oxygenate even a overstocked tank. Similar to OasisKeeper, I also run two AquaClear 70's on a 55gal mbuna tank (containing 20+ mbuna's), and have the same configuration on my 75gal demasoni colony tank (24+ fish).

Powerheads are optional/recommended but, in my opinion, more for the their circulation benefits rather than aeration capabilities. They work great at keeping waste particles suspended in the water column which means the HOB's (or canister's) filter out more of it and less waste makes its way down to and among the substrate.

I have 2x tetra ex1200 external cannister filters on my tank.I have positioned the 2 spray bars so that they disturb the surface of the water giving me all the oxygen the fish will ever need so no need for an air stone but the bubble effect can look nice.
You can't overdo filtration.

With air stones you get flow AND aeration.

Yes, I would do the Penguin you have AND the AC110. It will not be too much flow.

I personally would remove the mbunas and stick with peacocks. They are a lot less aggressive (actually manageable) and are even more colorful. They will be easier to do in such a small tank. If you go bigger go as big as you can, ideally a 125, but at least a 75.

Ok I'm gonna go with the filter, going today to get it. Will this effect my cycled tank by adding a new fresh filter system?

I'm gonna skip the air stone for now due to money and the noise of the of the pump.

I will speak with my friend who owns the LFS and has many many accounts all over New,York and Westchester NY with FW&SW tanks.

And yes I am looking for ideally to keep the wife happy nothing bigger then a 75g bowfront. She will only allow a bowfront for the living room. She likes the style but is concerned about the size. I have to keep the wife happy above all.

Just one more question. Will the new fresh filter effect my cycled tank? Will it go through a cycle or mini cycle? Or is everything good, no worries....

Thanks again for all your help. On my way to the LFS.

Your new filter will not affect your cycled tank as long as your cycled old filter is up and running too.Under no circumstances stop your existing filter or you will be back to square one (and I don't think you need that lol)
Usually a new filter will take roughly 6 weeks to mature.

Back
Top Bottom